Macro Express Forums

Menu Builder stays minimised

I was hitting problems with a macro that opens the Menu Builder. Eventually I tracked the failure down to what I think is a minor bug. Perhaps someone could confirm before I report it formally please?

In MEP Explorer, select any pop-up macro and open it with a d-click or R-click > Edit macro. It opens the macro in the Menu Builder. Minimise that window. Select another menu macro and open that. Here, it doesn't re-open the Menu Builder. It just highlights it in the taskbar. In contrast, a standard macro always activates the Script Editor, whether it's minimised or not.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I tried it and did not find any problem with the behavior witnessed. But then after rereading your description I don't see anything wrong with what you are describing either. The menu builder and the scripting editor are different apps so they operate independently of each other. But to be clear let me describe what I saw.

Open MEP Explorer. Open the pop-up menu builder. Minimize the menu builder. Open the scripting editor. Scripting editor opens as per normal and the menu builder task bar icon is not highlighted and remains minimized.

IOW it acts like two independent programs, MacMenu.exe and MacScipt.exe. Am I missing something?

I tried it and did not find any problem with the behavior witnessed. But then after rereading your description I don't see anything wrong with what you are describing either. The menu builder and the scripting editor are different apps so they operate independently of each other. But to be clear let me describe what I saw.

Open MEP Explorer. Open the pop-up menu builder. Minimize the menu builder. Open the scripting editor. Scripting editor opens as per normal and the menu builder task bar icon is not highlighted and remains minimized.

IOW it acts like two independent programs, MacMenu.exe and MacScipt.exe. Am I missing something?

The error I described was:

1. Open menu macro X. It opens in Menu Builder.

2. Minimise Menu Builder.

3. Open menu macro X. It doesn't re-open Menu Builder. The macro is in fact present as a new tab, but Menu Builder has to be manually restored from the taskbar. That's what happens here anyway.

I contrasted this with the correct behaviour for a normal (non-menu) macro, which opens consistently in a new tab in Script Editor's open window.

--

I'm sorry then, I must be thick. I'm just thinking if I open Word and minimize it then open Excel independently Word should stay minimized. Do you agree with that scenario? If so then why would Macscript.exe restore Macmenu.exe?

I'm sorry then, I must be thick. I'm just thinking if I open Word and minimize it then open Excel independently Word should stay minimized. Do you agree with that scenario? If so then why would Macscript.exe restore Macmenu.exe?

I don't know why you're having so much trouble with this Cory! I did say it was just a "minor bug", but a bug it is. Let me try again...

1. From MEP Explorer, open one of your menu macros, ABC.

2. It opens in Menu Builder so that you can start editing it. Fine.

3. Minimise Menu Builder to get it out of the way.

4. From MEP Explorer, open another menu macro, XYZ. Or you might try to re-open ABC, forgetting that it's already open.

5. It should restore Menu Builder, but it doesn't.

In contrast, if you repeat the exercise with normal macros, Script Editor (a separate part of Macro Express Pro, if that matters!) works correctly, so that the macro is immediately ready for editing.

That's just standard behaviour. All programs follow it. Word, Excel, Notepad, Paint, etc, etc. I can't think of any of my file-processing programs that doesn't do so. If you minimise any of them and open an associated file by d-clicking or R-Click > Open With from Windows Explore, then it immediately restores so that you can work with it.

--

• 2 weeks later...