Macro Express Forums

Generally sluggish working

I'd appreciate some feedback from other MEP users please on whether they too are noticing generally slow performance on many basic operations.

Here's a typical example. I open the activation tab of an existing macro. With the current entry selected (it doesn't matter what type it is, hotkey, mouse event, etc) I click Properties. It's then consistently about 4 seconds before the 'Select a Mouse Event' window appears.

Could ISS please tell me what MEP does to open this dialog? I can't believe it should take that long. Is the time (for some reason I don't follow) possibly proportional to the number of macros I have in my MEX file?

I could give many other examples. The overall result is a general feeling of sluggishness, making MEP less attractive to work in. I've checked what other tasks/services are running in XP Pro but, although I do have many applications open, I see no obvious other major use of CPU resources. This is a Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, with 4 GB.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I'd appreciate some feedback from other MEP users please on whether they too are noticing generally slow performance on many basic operations.

Here's a typical example. I open the activation tab of an existing macro. With the current entry selected (it doesn't matter what type it is, hotkey, mouse event, etc) I click Properties. It's then consistently about 4 seconds before the 'Select a Mouse Event' window appears.

On my sick machine (disk activity is relatively slow, I can't hibernate, and often have to reboot to get the Internet working again - but, hey, watch me fly when Windows 7 arrives), it's less than a second.

Could ISS please tell me what MEP does to open this dialog? I can't believe it should take that long. Is the time (for some reason I don't follow) possibly proportional to the number of macros I have in my MEX file?

I have 510 macros.

I could give many other examples. The overall result is a general feeling of sluggishness, making MEP less attractive to work in. I've checked what other tasks/services are running in XP Pro but, although I do have many applications open, I see no obvious other major use of CPU resources. This is a Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz, with 4 GB.

I agree wholeheartedly with you about the overall sluggishness in the current release. It's fixed a couple of important bugs for me, but is noticeably slower across the board than any previous release. And some commands, e.g. Variable Restore, are glacial.

I have experienced the odd Jacksonian Seizures and delays in activations in other posts but I believe you are talking more about sluggishness within the the Explorer, Scripting Editor and such and I have to report my is very responsive. I often have 3 or 4 files open and a few hundred macros and have many utilities on my machine like ClipMate, Snagit and such as well as years of accumulated apps. What's more my machine is no longer a spring chicken (Core2 Duo 2.4GHz w/ 2GB RAM) but MEP is plenty responsive for me.

I have experienced the odd Jacksonian Seizures and delays in activations in other posts but I believe you are talking more about sluggishness within the the Explorer, Scripting Editor and such and I have to report my is very responsive. I often have 3 or 4 files open and a few hundred macros and have many utilities on my machine like ClipMate, Snagit and such as well as years of accumulated apps. What's more my machine is no longer a spring chicken (Core2 Duo 2.4GHz w/ 2GB RAM) but MEP is plenty responsive for me.

Thanks. From your and Paul's replies I guess it's some conflict or configuration problem with my PC then. I'll also try pruning my 774 macros (including disabled) in 45 categories.

--

• 2 weeks later...
Also, try going to Tools > Pack File. The new data file can accumulate some cruft in it, which can cause a little bit of a slowdown. I'd like to know if that helps at all.

OK Chris, thanks. Never noticed that tool before. Duly 'packed' my 795-macro file. I'll give it a few days and report back if there is any definite improvement. FWIW, after 10 mins or so, if there is then it's not dramatic. The most obvious symptom is slowness in opening a macro from Explorer into the editor. Right now, with the editor initially not open, it's about 2.5 seconds. And around 1-1.5 for subsequent openings. BTW, I've found it gets progressively slower over time.

I really do need to do some house-keeping along the lines Cory suggests. But it's going to be a slog. I know that I'll just start re-examining many of my old/obscure macros and get into a deep nest of sub-tasks!

--

When I migrated (3 times) from ME3 to MEP I found the best method was to create a new file and move things over one at a time. Then one day if I realized there was one in the old I needed I'd just import it as needed. My problem was that I create many single use macros just to get something done in the middle of a battle and forget to go back and clean up. However now i have a WiP (Work in Progress) folder that helps me manage that.

The other suggestion I have is to make a list of all the macros with Macro Run commands. I created a macro awhile back that uses the text export utility then reports for each macro exactly which line a given string of text appears in. You could modify that to also report what the macro name was in the case of a macro run. Just let me know if you're interested.

When I migrated (3 times) from ME3 to MEP I found the best method was to create a new file and move things over one at a time. Then one day if I realized there was one in the old I needed I'd just import it as needed. My problem was that I create many single use macros just to get something done in the middle of a battle and forget to go back and clean up. However now i have a WiP (Work in Progress) folder that helps me manage that.

The other suggestion I have is to make a list of all the macros with Macro Run commands. I created a macro awhile back that uses the text export utility then reports for each macro exactly which line a given string of text appears in. You could modify that to also report what the macro name was in the case of a macro run. Just let me know if you're interested.

Thanks Cory.

Re the 'Macro Run Finder', yes, we discussed that way back. I think it stemmed from a problem raised by Steve (Scasper). You may remember I came up with a fairly cumbersome macro to do it too. It had issues though, mainly one about handling those pesky % signs (a topical subject!). I'd be very interested in seeing your macro please.

--

Here it is. Fair warning, this is intended for my use only and not user-proofed. Export your entire macro file to a text file with only the macro name and script. The output will be right next to it in the folder.

Right now it row counts so you will know in your macro what row they are on. If I were you I would modify each one of those to add a CRLF so they appear on separate rows. Then I would parse out the macro called in the Macro Run and put that on the same line so you can see which macros were called. This should give you a good map of where everything goes.

Search_and_Report.mex

Here it is. Fair warning, this is intended for my use only and not user-proofed. Export your entire macro file to a text file with only the macro name and script. The output will be right next to it in the folder.

Right now it row counts so you will know in your macro what row they are on. If I were you I would modify each one of those to add a CRLF so they appear on separate rows. Then I would parse out the macro called in the Macro Run and put that on the same line so you can see which macros were called. This should give you a good map of where everything goes.

Thanks Cory. I'll try it in a few days when I have more time.

--

Thanks for the macro. I will give it a try and use it for other purposes after this semester ends.
Good to hear from you Jeff. It's a simple macro that I find very useful. Much more than I initially suspected.