Macro Express Forums

Two-button activation crash

I'm running out of unique activations so for the first time I set a macro ABC to activate when a particular screen area was clicked with both the Middle and Right mouse buttons. This crashed ME Pro hard. I had to resort to XP Pro Task Manager to close it.

The cause appears to be fairly obvious. The macro ABC is very simple. It's just a Macro Run XYZ command inside a simple Repeat loop. XYZ is another working macro, performing an operation just once, and ABC is intended to perform that operation 20 times. XYZ is activated by a Middle mouse click in the same screen area. So presumably the two are in a race conflict. Which brings me to my question: exactly how does ME Pro recognise combination mouse clicks? Presumably it's by allowing a short time after pressing one of the three buttons to check if another one is also clicked? How long is that time? From the problem above, it would seem to be too short. My middle button is a wheel, and I'm conscious of taking some time to perform the unfamiliar operation of clicking it without rotating it and at the same time clicking the right button.

I'll be avoiding 'combination' clicks meanwhile, but I'd like to understand if the issue is fixable. Perhaps ISS could explain please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I'm running out of unique activations so for the first time I set a macro ABC to activate when a particular screen area was clicked with both the Middle and Right mouse buttons. This crashed ME Pro hard. I had to resort to XP Pro Task Manager to close it.

The cause appears to be fairly obvious. The macro ABC is very simple. It's just a Macro Run XYZ command inside a simple Repeat loop. XYZ is another working macro, performing an operation just once, and ABC is intended to perform that operation 20 times. XYZ is activated by a Middle mouse click in the same screen area. So presumably the two are in a race conflict. Which brings me to my question: exactly how does ME Pro recognise combination mouse clicks? Presumably it's by allowing a short time after pressing one of the three buttons to check if another one is also clicked? How long is that time? From the problem above, it would seem to be too short. My middle button is a wheel, and I'm conscious of taking some time to perform the unfamiliar operation of clicking it without rotating it and at the same time clicking the right button.

I'll be avoiding 'combination' clicks meanwhile, but I'd like to understand if the issue is fixable. Perhaps ISS could explain please?

--

Ok, to test this problem, I first checked to make sure my mouse was programmed for "Middle Click" (the default is something else).

Then I created two nearly identical macros:

1) One activated by Middle and Right Mouse-clicks, opens a Dialog Box centered on Monitor 0 that says TEST - Area: 0,0 and 2545,1023

2) One activated by Middle click only, which opens a Dialog Box centered on Monitor 1 that says test - Area: 0,0 and 2545,1023

At first, the Middle click was only launching the 1st macro, which it shouldn't have been doing at all. I disabled the 1st macro and ran the 2nd one a couple of times before re-activating the 1st. After that, they both worked as they were supposed to.

Definitely a strange bug.

Have you considered using the Lock Player command for at least the beginning part of one of the macros. Still shouldn't crash. Nothing should cause a program to crash IMHO. I trust you are running version 4.1 and have reported the bug to ISS.

Have you considered using the Lock Player command for at least the beginning part of one of the macros. Still shouldn't crash. Nothing should cause a program to crash IMHO. I trust you are running version 4.1 and have reported the bug to ISS.

Thanks both. I'll give it a couple of days and if ISS don't respond here then I'll send a bug email.

Hey, Steve, that's some high res you're using - 2545 x1024?! I have 1920 x 1200 on my 24" widescreen Iiyama ProLite E2403WS, which I thought was its max. Mind you, my ageing eyesight would probably preclude anything higher :rolleyes:

--

Thanks both. I'll give it a couple of days and if ISS don't respond here then I'll send a bug email.

Hey, Steve, that's some high res you're using - 2545 x1024?! I have 1920 x 1200 on my 24" widescreen Iiyama ProLite E2403WS, which I thought was its max. Mind you, my ageing eyesight would probably preclude anything higher :rolleyes:

--

I cheated, though. We're running dual monitors at work. :)

I cheated, though. We're running dual monitors at work. :)
Must not bee wide screens. My two Viewsonics yield a desktop of 3360 by 1050. Personally I wanted three of them but that's difficult to do inexpensively in Vista. However I hear in 7 I can do it...

Must not bee wide screens. My two Viewsonics yield a desktop of 3360 by 1050. Personally I wanted three of them but that's difficult to do inexpensively in Vista. However I hear in 7 I can do it...

Yeah, just a couple of mid-range 17" Dells. We've only had them about 6 months, and we had to fight tooth-and-nail to convince the Power that Be that having dual LCDs would improve our productivity enough to be worth getting rid of the 15" CRTs we'd been using for who-knows-how-long.

We're off topic but I preach to all my clients to equip users with dual monitors. Especially in the paperless age users need to be able to look here and work there. But it does make macro dialogs more interesting to position. Luckily monitor number is now a variable.