Macro Express Forums

Less than useful error logs?

Sorry for the multiple posts but they are separate issues and I don't want to overload folks with a huge amount of text.

I just wrote a macro that attempts to divide by zero to generate an error for the log. Annoyingly I get "Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:09:23 PM: Divide by zero". Is that it? Is there no way to get more definite information in there? At least the error popup tells me the line number. Am I missing something or should I put in a feature request?

I suppose I could write a macro that looks for the "Script Error" dialog and logs and emails the contents of the box. It just seems that the logging options should work the way we want, ya know? Ideally I would like much more information when the macro fails. I'm thinking time, line number, error, and optionally a copy of all the current variables in a dump file someplace. Maybe that should be a feature request too. I know I can 'handle' errors but that would mean I would need to modify each and every command and write some error output subroutine.

Sorry for the multiple posts but they are separate issues and I don't want to overload folks with a huge amount of text.

I just wrote a macro that attempts to divide by zero to generate an error for the log. Annoyingly I get "Wednesday, September 30, 2009 12:09:23 PM: Divide by zero". Is that it? Is there no way to get more definite information in there? At least the error popup tells me the line number. Am I missing something or should I put in a feature request?

I suppose I could write a macro that looks for the "Script Error" dialog and logs and emails the contents of the box. It just seems that the logging options should work the way we want, ya know? Ideally I would like much more information when the macro fails. I'm thinking time, line number, error, and optionally a copy of all the current variables in a dump file someplace. Maybe that should be a feature request too. I know I can 'handle' errors but that would mean I would need to modify each and every command and write some error output subroutine.

I haven't got around to using the log myself, but I agree that it sounds pretty unhelpful.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I am fairly certain that the error info you want is given only the Catch Error system ... as you already mentioned. I can see no direct way of trapping that info other than by your suggestion of using the Handle choice ... but geez that would be a lot of coding, again, as you already mentioned.