Jump to content
Macro Express Forums

Removing % causes hard crash

Recommended Posts

I was getting some more hard crashes, which I've identified as due to what seems an obvious bug. Here is an ultra-simple example.


Variable Set String Greeting to "Hello."

Text Box Display:


<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x00" Destination="Greeting" Value="Hello."/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 %Greeting\\f1  \\f0 %\r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="FALSE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>

Then, in the Text Display box, I deliberately added a space in that variable, making it '%Greeting %'. I expected this to display exactly like that, i.e. '%Greeting %'. Or possibly tell me that I was using an invalid/missing variable. But instead it crashed ME Pro, and I had to use XP Pro Task Manager to close it.



Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I replicated the scenario and see slightly different symptoms I tried to display a text box with the invalid var %test % but instead of crashing the box did not display and instead is consuming all the remaining CPU cycles, about 50% as I was converting some videos, and 4MB of memory and is just sitting there with Forrest in the system tray. MEP explorer is still responsive and other macros still run. If I hit my Pause key I get a very quick "Macro Paused" pop-up which is instantly closed. I had to it it several times like a kinetoscope to read it. I paused my video conversion and it's still at 50%. Clicking on Forrest has no effect. Using the break key sequence seems to have no effect.


This is a brilliant find and may go a long way to explain several odd reports here in the forum. Especially how it's hogging CPU and is stuck on a macro but continues to function. I assume you have reported this as a bug.


Still 50%. I right clicked MEP tray icon and choose to terminate. It appears to go away but the task manager still shows it but now at zero CPU. Opened MEP again and now I have two in the task manager.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for catching this. It appears that the problem was in our rich-text decoder. Basically, it was stuck in an infinite loop because it couldn't remove the rich-text code for the space in order to determine if it was looking at a variable or not.


I've now got a fix in place for this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...