Macro Express Forums

Macros to open IE URL and batching other macros

Works

I am seeking help in creating 2 separate macros and would qualify as below a novice in macro experience:

1. I would like to create a macro that would open Internet Explorer at a specified time (4:00am). Then, the macro would open an email website that is located in the favorites list, and then type in a username and password.

2. My second macro would create a “batch” of 6 separate macros to start in consecutive order. I have 6 separate macros that start at 7:00am 7:05am 7:10am 7:15am 7:20am 7:25am. Rather than have 6 separate scheduled macros, can I place these six macros into a “batch” that would begin as a scheduled macro at 7:00am? I am thinking it might be possible to copy the 6 separate macros into 1 new macro….is that the solution?

An additional question I have about the first macro:

For the 1st one to work if a macro is capable of performing what I am seeking, I would have to leave the computer running for the macro to take place. Will the macro run if the monitor “logs off” because it has not been used for 5 minutes and the screensaver has activated?

Thanks for any suggestions

I am seeking help in creating 2 separate macros and would qualify as below a novice in macro experience:

1. I would like to create a macro that would open Internet Explorer at a specified time (4:00am). Then, the macro would open an email website that is located in the favorites list, and then type in a username and password.

Rather than using the macro to open IE and go through your bookmarks, I'd recommend using the Macro to open IE directly to your email site (1 command). Example:

Web Site: http://mail.google.com [Internet Explorer - Wait to load]

You'll still need to build the commands that will sign you into the site.

2. My second macro would create a “batch” of 6 separate macros to start in consecutive order. I have 6 separate macros that start at 7:00am 7:05am 7:10am 7:15am 7:20am 7:25am. Rather than have 6 separate scheduled macros, can I place these six macros into a “batch” that would begin as a scheduled macro at 7:00am? I am thinking it might be possible to copy the 6 separate macros into 1 new macro….is that the solution?

You can de-activate the schedules on the other macros and then use the "Macro Run" command within the 1st macro to run these various other macros. Of course, timing them may take some trial and error, or the use of Date/Time commands together with "If/Then" statements... Depending on your familiarity with ME, it may be easier to simply leave the separate macros on their own schedules.

An additional question I have about the first macro:

For the 1st one to work if a macro is capable of performing what I am seeking, I would have to leave the computer running for the macro to take place. Will the macro run if the monitor “logs off” because it has not been used for 5 minutes and the screensaver has activated?

I personally haven't used a screen saver regularly for a number of years, so I can't speak authoritatively or from experience; however, I believe the monitor's power-saver mode should not affect the function of any macros, though - again - you may want to test this.

As I was thinking about this, I thought of something else you might want to look into.

Macro Express can actually generate emails for you and send them out without opening Internet Explorer. You would probably need Outlook installed and set up with your email client (ie. if you use Gmail, have your Gmail client handled by Outlook). This way, Macro Express would simply use Outlook to "invisibly" generate and send the emails.

I have personally never used this function of Macro Express (my emails tend to be of a personal nature, and never on a schedule). Though, now that I'm on the subject, I may look into it for some of my work necessities which do require me to send emails, sporadically, but annoyingly, throughout the day.

Will the macro run if the monitor “logs off” because it has not been used for 5 minutes and the screensaver has activated?

If your computer logs off, then the macro will not run. The knowledgebase article "with the workstation locked the macro does not work" contains details.

If your macro file contains Scheduled Macros, your screen saver will be disabled unless you uncheck the 'Disable Screen Saver when using Scheduled Macros' option found in Options, Preferences, Scheduler. The knowledgebase article "my screen saver never gets activated" contains more information.