Macro Express Forums

Macro Express Pro v 4.1.2.1

Macro Express Pro v 4.1.2.1

Macro Express Pro v 4.1.2.1 has been released. This update follows the recently released v 4.1.1.1 update. Due to a few problems that were not completely fixed in v 4.1.1.1 we did not make an announcement about that release. Those issues along with a few others have been corrected.

This update includes a combined 55 changes. The more significant changes affect the speed of certain macro commands. For example, commands that interact with the clipboard are now faster and more reliable. The Release Notes for v 4.1.1.1 and v 4.1.2.1 contain a detailed list of changes.

The latest version of Macro Express Pro may be downloaded from the Macro Express download page.

I just installed it and the Menu Bar is completely blank. That must be change #56! Perhaps it's just me.

It sounds like the menu bar may have been dragged off the Macro Express Pro Explorer window. The menus can actually be separated from the main window. If you can find it you can drag it back onto the Explorer window. Or, you can try this:

- Close the Explorer window and any editor windows

- Right-click on the Macro Express icon in the system tray

- Click Tools

- Click Restore Toolbars

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately I already uninstalled MEPro which was unusable and reinstalled 4.1.1.1. I had tried a reinstall and a repair install. Your advice noted for next time (hopefully not). Was 4.1.2.1 the first rev that needed a reboot? I don't remember doing that before. I could not do so right away and the PC froze before I rebooted. At the time I thought it was due to other issues but I now suspect 4.1.2.1 install.

The menu bar seemed to be there (although there were 4 dots compared to 3 in 4.1.1.1).

BTW after dissing Controls in other posts I resolved a few Firefox issues using them!

Was 4.1.2.1 the first rev that needed a reboot? I don't remember doing that before. I could not do so right away and the PC froze before I rebooted.

No. We cannot predict what actions will require a reboot but the installer can tell if one is needed. If the installer asks to reboot, please reboot!! If you cannot reboot, then close Macro Express Pro and do not use it until you can reboot.

The first panel of the installer says to close all open programs before continuing. This warning is meant to avoid strange problems, like the one you experienced. When the installer detects that it cannot install and/or delete one or more files, it displays the reboot message. If you do not reboot and continue to use Macro Express Pro unexpected and often bad things happen.

The menu bar seemed to be there (although there were 4 dots compared to 3 in 4.1.1.1).

"dots"? What do you mean?

Unfortunately I already uninstalled MEPro which was unusable and reinstalled 4.1.1.1.

Unusable because of the File menu or something else?

Finally, this type of back and forth exchange is best handled in private email conversations with a support person. After you entered the bug report we responded with questions but did not receive a response.

I installed 4.1.2.1 on all of my main clients machines (2000, 2003, and Vista), my Vista desktop machine, and then my Windows 7 Desktop (Hard drive crash), and everything is smooth as silk. I have a deployment macro for my big client so I did some experiments with rebooting. At first I made sure anything hooked into like Word was closed but that didn’t seem to help. Then I made sure all apps were closed and MEP was closed. I actually ran the deployment from a batch file and the last thing the macro did was terminate itself after launching the batch. Once I got a delay in the beginning of batch file I never had to reboot another machine. And when the deployment macro runs it drops a flag in the reg and the install is set to launch MEP afterwards so I had a startup macro that checked for the flag and if present check the version and such and let the user know it was OK to go back to work as well and indicating that the upgrade was done in a network INI file. To the user it was quite painless and I could sit back and watch the INI as more and more completions were logged. It took a little work to get going but it’s super slick.

Anyway I just wanted to report that no problem with the new version on dozens of machines in mixed environments and the formula for upgrading without having to reboot.

Since this is a general version update topic, I thought I would ask for help locating something mentioned in the release notes:

"Renamed the 'Wait [ ] milliseconds between clipboard commands' option to reflect the change in how clipboard commands now work."

Where does one find this in MEP?

Thanks, rock solid so far!