Macro Express Forums

ME Pro Text type <TAB> Puzzle

A macro fills out a form. Some fields on the form have drop-down lists.

If I do the form manually and tab into a field, the drop-down list does not open unless and until I start typing characters.

When ME3 tabs into the field, same thing, the drop-down list does not open unless and until the macro starts typing characters.

I converted the ME3 macro to ME Pro. When MEP tabs into a field, sometimes the drop-down list appears regardless of typing, sometimes it does not appear until the macro starts typing -- it is inconsistent from one time to the next. In testing MEP, I have seen this difference on several fields of several forms.

I can code around the problem, but I'm really curious what accounts for the difference. Ideas, anybody?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what might be happening but have you looked at the converted macro to see what the macro commands look like? Is it possible that there is something being typed after the <TAB>? Maybe there is something that is not displayed in the field like a space or an arrow up/down/left/right. Once determine what is causing the inconsistent behavior we can figure out why it did not occur in Macro Express 3. (It could be a conversion problem, a difference in timing, or something else.)

Try creating a script from scratch. It could be a conversion issue.

I sometimes use a "homeopathic" approach to debugging scripts: I add something to the script that causes the symptoms to appear. In this case, try forcing a drop-down list to open. Depending on the context, the keystroke may be <Alt><Up>, <Alt><Down>, or <F4>.

I'm not sure what might be happening but have you looked at the converted macro to see what the macro commands look like? Is it possible that there is something being typed after the <TAB>?

Most entries to form fields are like this:

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes) <TAB>

Wait for Text Playback

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes) %T[x]%

Wait for Text Playback

What I see on the screen is that ME Pro's "Text Type" is very choppy. If for example variable T[x] contains thirty characters, five or six characters will be typed, then there is a visible delay, then one or a few more characters, another delay, then a few more, and so on. I think this explains the dropdown lists -- where ME3 zipped through typing the whole field, MEP may initially type one or two characters, then delay, and the dropdown opens during the delay.

So that explains the dropdowns, but what explains the choppiness? Testing so far shows choppy typing into Citrix windows. When typing into an IE7 page, typing is steady with no choppiness. This is on a comparatively slow PC.

Incidentally, the Wait for Text Playback seems to be much faster with MEP (either that or the wait is being ignored and I just don't know it yet).

Another aspect of this issue is with drop-down lists that are select-only (no user input). If you are selecting a specific item you can type the first letter of the line you want (and repeat from there to others starting with the same letter). Alternatively you can hit Home or End and arrow up and down from there. Some boxes however, do not respond to Home and End. You have to do enough up or down arrows to ensure reaching the top or bottom of the list (home and end) and then arrow from there.

Testing so far shows choppy typing into Citrix windows.

Citrix often does interesting things to the flow of information between the client and server machine. And network latency can affect things as well. One thing that sometimes causes trouble is that Citrix makes an effort to reduce the information sent between the client and server. This compression of the data can cause trouble.

The reason you are seeing a difference between Macro Express 3 and Macro Express Pro could be caused by a difference in timing. Macro Express Pro runs faster than Macro Express 3. I suggest you try adjusting the Text Type Delay found under Options, Preferences, Playback. It may sound counter-intuitive but I suggest that you try increasing the delay. Adjusting this value will affect all macros. You could also try adding a Keystroke Speed command to your macro. This will adjust the playback speed of the individual macro or even specific portions within the individual macro.

If these suggestions do not help or if you have further questions please contact our support people at Insight Software Solutions directly via email. See our contact page.

Edited by kevin

Citrix often does interesting things to the flow of information between the client and server machine. And network latency can affect things as well. One thing that sometimes causes trouble is that Citrix makes an effort to reduce the information sent between the client and server. This compression of the data can cause trouble.

A while back I had a problem with a Citrix client. I found some useful info on the Macro Express website knowledge base. Simply put in "Citrix" and go for it. I agree, Citrix does funky things at times. For example, I've seen instances where sometimes Citrix clients balk when they're fed data any quicker than what it thinks a Human Bean can (or should be able to) actually type it. I've "out-typed" Citrix interfaces (by hand) more than once. I can only imagine how a fairly streamlined script could overwhelm the interface - even on a "slow" PC. I slowed down the typing speed for all Citrix inter-actions and then went full blast with the text for any other local or non-Citrix stuff.

The folks at Insight give excellent support.

Cheers,

--Pete

Citrix often does interesting things to the flow of information between the client and server machine. ... a difference between Macro Express 3 and Macro Express Pro could be caused by a difference in timing ... try adjusting the Text Type Delay found under Options, Preferences, Playback. It may sound counter-intuitive but I suggest that you try increasing the delay ... also try adding a Keystroke Speed command to your macro

Tried adjusting Text Type Delay as high as 100,000 and it still was choppy. The macros already had Keystroke Speed of 30ms. But the application is working OK now, I just added Text Type <TAB> to tab out of the dropdown fields and that closes the dropdown list.