Macro Express Forums

Anyone written macros for MediaMonkey?

Bit of a longshot this, but has anyone here written any macros for my favourite media player/organiser, MediaMonkey?

I've made several attempts but hit frustrating obstacles. Unfortunately MediaMonkey seems unusually resistant to accepting keystrokes applied by a macro. Even with very long delays (which makes the automation a bit pointless!) results are erratic. In contrast, it accepts mouse movements and clicks quickly and reliably. But the macro I wrote using that approach lasted only days, as it was dependent on my HD folder structure remaining unchanged.

BTW, it occurs to me that this might be related to the fact that MM allows 'add-on scripts'. Another of my applications, PaintShop Pro 8, does so too (Python scripts), and that also seems resistant to macro-delivered keystrokes.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Can't help too much with MediaMonkey as my media organizer is me, as in first person singular. Dare I ask if you have tried Controls? The other alternative is to write some MM scripts. Not as user-friendly as MEPro and probably don't do the sort of things you want.

Commenting on PSP, I was automating PSP7 donkeys years ago with ME3. I've never tried on PSP9 which is the first version I have with Python. It's always worth keeping the oldies around where possible. I have Photopaint 13 but mostly use Photopaint 7 which is early 1990s vintage (for run-of-the-mill editing). The prog is up and running in seconds and it runs Corel Script rather than the painful VB. I also found this week that all of PP7's tool settings are Controls which makes it even better.

Can't help too much with MediaMonkey as my media organizer is me, as in first person singular. Dare I ask if you have tried Controls? The other alternative is to write some MM scripts. Not as user-friendly as MEPro and probably don't do the sort of things you want.

Commenting on PSP, I was automating PSP7 donkeys years ago with ME3. I've never tried on PSP9 which is the first version I have with Python. It's always worth keeping the oldies around where possible. I have Photopaint 13 but mostly use Photopaint 7 which is early 1990s vintage (for run-of-the-mill editing). The prog is up and running in seconds and it runs Corel Script rather than the painful VB. I also found this week that all of PP7's tool settings are Controls which makes it even better.

Thanks John. I hadn't tried Controls but may do so now as a learning exercise. (Although I'm not optimistic based on previous experience).

--

I got hold of a copy of the Standard version. My first comment is that you can install per Windows default or fully skinned. If you did the latter (and none of my comments help) try reverting to default. The option is in the install dialogs.

Did you check out the shortcuts? I had no difficulty operating any of the shortcuts (and standard Win shortcuts) with MEPro (using a completely different activation to run the macro). I navigated all the types, genres, search, stop and start play, opened and changed data in the edit box, context menus with Menu/App key. You mentioned about adding folders. I presume the folder tree may be a problem.

Controls won't be of much use - each pane or toolbar is one control. May help with some tasks to localize control to one pane.

If you have something specific in mind that you can't do, PM me. Unless there is something of interest re MEPro application it's probably OT.

I got hold of a copy of the Standard version. My first comment is that you can install per Windows default or fully skinned. If you did the latter (and none of my comments help) try reverting to default. The option is in the install dialogs.

Did you check out the shortcuts? I had no difficulty operating any of the shortcuts (and standard Win shortcuts) with MEPro (using a completely different activation to run the macro). I navigated all the types, genres, search, stop and start play, opened and changed data in the edit box, context menus with Menu/App key. You mentioned about adding folders. I presume the folder tree may be a problem.

Controls won't be of much use - each pane or toolbar is one control. May help with some tasks to localize control to one pane.

If you have something specific in mind that you can't do, PM me. Unless there is something of interest re MEPro application it's probably OT.

Thanks for taking the trouble to research that, John.

Yes, it's navigating the folder tree that was the problem. I have a few other simple macros that work OK. (Not sure about yours, but remarkably my version of MM doesn't have a keystroke method to toggle Pause/Play, only a button to click. So that was probably the first macro I wrote for MM.) The specific requirement under discussion was to go from wherever I was in the tree, at whatever state of folder expansion, to a folder say C:\Docs\xyz\abc.

But the good news is that last night, via the MM Forum, I found an MM script called FavouriteNodes that lets me accomplish it. If you're interested it's downloadable from

http://home.scarlet.be/ruben.castelein/ ... des1.2.exe

Although you said you're your own media organiser, I'd definitely recommend MM to help. In particular, try its Auto-tagging and Auto-organizing features. But we digress ...!

--