Macro Express Forums

What is the error reporting process?

When MEP crashes there is an error reporting application which my McAfee is blocking because it fears it’s a worm. There is a list of exceptions but what is the process name of the error reporter so I can add it?

When MEP crashes there is an error reporting application which my McAfee is blocking because it fears it’s a worm. There is a list of exceptions but what is the process name of the error reporter so I can add it?

The ISS Bug Reporter is triggered whenever one of our programs, including Macro Express and Macro Express Pro, crashes. The name of the program is issbugrp.exe and it is found here: <Program Files>\Common Files\Insight Software Solutions\ISSBugRp.exe. The actual location of <Program Files> varies depending on which version of Windows you are using and your language settings. For English and Windows XP it is c:\Program Files. For 64 bit Windows 7 it is c:\Program Files (x86).

It is interesting that McAfee is flagging this program on your computer because I have McAfee installed on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine and it doesn't have any problem. You may need to make sure that the folder specified for the Crash Report Directory found in Options, Preferences, File System points to a folder that your user login can write to. You may want to set this to your My Documents or Temp folder.

Please email me the path in the Crash Report Directory so I can compare with what I have and what the default setting should be.

I am using the corporate version which might be different.

On all machines with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise (my current version 8.7.0i) I have to manually make exceptions for the MEP player. It’s not the On Access Scanner but rather the Access Protection module which protects against malware and such. In this case under Anti-virus Standard Protection there’s a rule for "Prevent mass mailing worms from sending email" and I just exclude the process MacExp.exe. Full EXE path is not needed. However when sending crash reports I have been simply disabling the Access Protection and hitting the send button again. But now I can add this new process and avoid it in the future.

I have been able to send all my crash reports. "C:\Users\Public\Documents\Insight Software\Macro Express\Crashes" is the folder in preferences but it is empty and I can read and write to it. I’m assuming it’s empty then because I’ve been able to send them.

FYI I'm running W7x86-64

No, x64 is confusing and wrong ;-)

x86 just means it's the Intel instruction set lineage that stated with the 8086, 286, 386, 486, 586 (AKA Pentuim) and so on. What's after the dash is the bit width. It's just that we've been 32 bit for so long x86 is synonymous with 32 bit. But technically x64 is incorrect and is a truncation of x86-64. IE the current version of Windows I have is designed for the 64 bit version of the x86 instruction set. So technically the 286 was an x86-16.