Macro Express Forums

Turning Off Notebook Display?

SweetestDeals

Hey, all!

As you can see I'm new here, but I've been using ME for years and absolutely love it. I'm always thinking up new scenarios where I can use a macro to be more productive. :P

My latest idea is trying to find a way to "sleep" the screen on command. Just to be clear: Not sleep the whole computer (Start > Shut Down), but only the display (just like Windows Control Panel > Power Options > Edit Plan Settings--except on-demand).

Logically I'm thinking, "Okay, there HAS to be a way to do this--I just haven't figured it out yet."

But then I wonder, "Well, I can't even find a way to do this without a macro, so maybe it can't be done..." ;)

So if you could help me straighten this out once and for all, I would be sincerely grateful.

Thank you!

P.S. I almost forgot to mention!...

I'm pretty sure I remember--back in the pre-Vista (XP only) days--some sort of desktop shortcut created by one of those tweaking programs (TweakXP, etc.) that essentially did what I described above. That's why I was thinking there must be a way to do this.

I don't know of any ME functions that would do it. I've tried Wizmo which is pretty good. You put the exe anywhere convenient (the author suggests Windows folder - I used a folder in Program Files). Use Program Launch to run wizmo.exe with the parameter "monoff" no quotes. Any mouse or key will awaken the monitor.

It has not been updated since 2008 so may not work with W7.

I don't know of any ME functions that would do it. I've tried Wizmo which is pretty good. You put the exe anywhere convenient (the author suggests Windows folder - I used a folder in Program Files). Use Program Launch to run wizmo.exe with the parameter "monoff" no quotes. Any mouse or key will awaken the monitor.

It has not been updated since 2008 so may not work with W7.

It does work with W7. I use it for exactly this purpose.