Macro Express Forums

unnecessarily duplicated keys on popup menu?

margaret

I've made a popup menu in the Windows standard style. Hot keys have been automatically created in each macro name on the menu, which is very cool except that one particular letter (G) which occurs in three macro names is the hot key for all three macros. This isn't necessary as there are enough other letters in the names to go around (only 13 macros on the menu anyway). Is there anything I can to do get unique hot keys for the ones that now all have "G" for the hot key?

Thanks.

If you have 3 macros starting with "G", then the hotkey should move along the words as you know. I tried with five macros starting "Windows". No problem, w, i, n, d, o. If you don't want to post the perps for our perusal, make sure that unique letters are really available. If no one else has a solution, report it as a bug.

If you have 3 macros starting with "G", then the hotkey should move along the words as you know. I tried with five macros starting "Windows". No problem, w, i, n, d, o. If you don't want to post the perps for our perusal, make sure that unique letters are really available. If no one else has a solution, report it as a bug.

"should" -- but doesn't always. I have thirteen macros. For the first ten, the hot keys are assigned as you describe. Then three of them have a capital G in the name. All of them get the hot key G. Now, of course I know you can just press G again and then press Enter when you get to the item you want, but that kinda defeats the purpose of having the hotkey in the first place. And it's not necessary in that other letters are available. It's as if the hotkey-assigning routine gets stuck at G somehow. These are the names and I put a & in front of the hot key plus putting it on the right side. I'm sending you a screenshot of the menu.

&CinJustSTOP C

C&inLeaveNewCopy I

Ci&nMainOnly N

Cin&MainPLURAL M

CinIn&vertName V

CinInv&ertCompoundName E

Cin&PasteMAINAddSub P

CinP&asteSUBAddMain A

CinI&TALICIZEAddAuthor T

Cin&QUOTESAddAuthor Q

Cin&GetPageNumber u, b, and r are available

CinInvertName&GetNewPageNo r, w, and o are available

CinInvertCompoundName&GetNewPageNo r, o, and u are available

post-3057-1267919657_thumb.png

You were running out of letters but as you note there are a few left at the end. It doesn't help having the last few with similar text but that is no excuse. As a test, have you tried changing the macro names like adding X or Y somewhere in the last two? I seem to remember these may be used by others so you may not want to go that route. Looks like a bug to me.

You were running out of letters but as you note there are a few left at the end. It doesn't help having the last few with similar text but that is no excuse. As a test, have you tried changing the macro names like adding X or Y somewhere in the last two? I seem to remember these may be used by others so you may not want to go that route. Looks like a bug to me.

I haven't tried changing the names because that wouldn't be a very good solution. I have three sets of these macros for use with different applications, an instructions web page, a table of keyboard shortcuts, and three sets of practice sheets that I'd have to change, in addition to changing the names of the macros themselves, changing the names wherever they are referenced in other macros, changing the popup menus I made, and changing the names where they are referenced in a macro that runs through all the macros to test them! I'll put in a bug report.

I've made a popup menu in the Windows standard style. Hot keys have been automatically created in each macro name on the menu, which is very cool except that one particular letter (G) which occurs in three macro names is the hot key for all three macros. This isn't necessary as there are enough other letters in the names to go around (only 13 macros on the menu anyway). Is there anything I can to do get unique hot keys for the ones that now all have "G" for the hot key?

Thanks.

Not sure if this is what you are wanting, but I've use numbers (ie 1-9) and other keyboard symbols (ie ^, @, *) as my hot keys. (ie &*General). The think you need to remember is to include a replace variable command (ie replace "&*" with "") and be sure to place it in the macro before your (replace "&" with "") command.

One think I was curious about was when you write "automatically created in each macro name". I've never run across this option but if it is dealing only with macros, as opposed to text stings, that would explain why.

Are we talking about the same thing? We are talking about Pop-Up menus in the "Windows Default" style. You don't get to choose the hotkey, which is an underlined letter in the macro name. Ditto for the "Name and Scope" style which assign A-Z, 0-9.

BTW I loaded up a "Windows Default" style menu with the full quota of 36. When it runs out of letters, there are no hotkeys. Presumably you have to double-click the item.

Something just came up in MEPro forum that I was not aware of. If you double-click a sub-menu item, you can choose an accelerator key. That is not made clear in the Help. Most people will see that hotkeys have been made automatically as underlined characters and that's it. There are more options. There may be a bug however, the accelerator key works but does not display in the sub-menu.

Edited by JohnS

Something just came up in MEPro forum that I was not aware of. If you double-click a sub-menu item, you can choose an accelerator key. That is not made clear in the Help. Most people will see that hotkeys have been made automatically as underlined characters and that's it. There are more options. There may be a bug however, the accelerator key works but does not display in the sub-menu.

Well, nothing happens in ME3 when I double-click a menu item in the Macro Explorer. Any way of clicking it during editing does nothing. I put in a bug report on this last week. Thanks.

Sorry, I jumped the gun on ME3. The menu system in ME3 is slightly different although the menus look the same. In ME3, if you want to create a Pop-Up sub-menu, you create that separately and then add to the main Pop-Up menu.

I think maybe you meant MEPro in the last sentence -- the only way I can create a pop-up menu in ME3 is to give it a hot key (won't allow me to go further without specifying one), and the word "submenu" isn't even mentioned in "Macro Express Explained."

Nope, I've done it. Create a new Pop-up. Call it "MySubMenu" or whatever. Give it a hotkey. Build Menu with some items in the macro list. Save it. Now go to an existing Pop-up, and add "MySubMenu". It will appear in the list and can be opened with the hotkey the main Pop-Up allocates. Below is the bottom of a menu I created. "y" runs "MySubMenu"

(edit) "and the word "submenu" isn't even mentioned in "Macro Express Explained" " Perhaps it may turn out to be fortunate I never read the book!

Edited by JohnS

Thanks.

The Windows Default style was buggy in ME3 and if anything seems even worse in ME Pro.

The solution to your problem is simply to change to Nickname & Scope style. That eliminates all the duplicates (and those for which Windows Default sometimes fails to assign any key), as well as being superior in all other respects, as illustrated in this example:

post-1217-1268508079_thumb.jpg

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK