Macro Express Forums

Posting Code in MEPro Forum

Something which Cory may have been alluding to in a recent post is that you can no longer post code per the ME3 forum. In ME3, all the Variables are defined. In MEPro, new variables are not defined. If someone copies your code, they have to mess around registering the variables before the macro can be run. The code can still be posted so that any obvious errors can be pointed out. Otherwise it would be a good idea to include an mex or mxe as attachment so that the code can be loaded and run with the variables already registered.

Does that sound a good idea? May have been raised previously for all I know.

Something which Cory may have been alluding to in a recent post is that you can no longer post code per the ME3 forum. In ME3, all the Variables are defined. In MEPro, new variables are not defined. If someone copies your code, they have to mess around registering the variables before the macro can be run. The code can still be posted so that any obvious errors can be pointed out. Otherwise it would be a good idea to include an mex or mxe as attachment so that the code can be loaded and run with the variables already registered.

Does that sound a good idea? May have been raised previously for all I know.

Yes, I agree (and yes, I think Cory made a similar suggestion a while ago).

I've often posted code, but as my last example illustrated it's somewhat error-prone.

Where it seems appropriate I intend to supplement the MEX file (not MXE, that has downsides IMO) by the script too. Readers who don't want to import the MEX can then at least see what's being discussed.

P.S. Still hoping for your feedback after running TestCopyToClipboard.mex

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I suspected Cory may have previously raised the issue. That prompts me to raise an issue for which I got not responses previously - it's about time some of these "procedures" and "good stuff"" information got Pinned like every other forum on the planet. We keep on having to regurgitate the same stuff over and over. It's difficult for anyone to find the "good stuff" using Search. Put it in an obvious and easily accessible place. I propose the following list:

How to post ME code

How to access information on web pages (different methods)

How to store information (text, ini, registry, environment var, pros and cons)

Replying Procedure/Use of Reply versus Reply Directly to this Post

I suspected Cory may have previously raised the issue. That prompts me to raise an issue for which I got not responses previously - it's about time some of these "procedures" and "good stuff"" information got Pinned like every other forum on the planet. We keep on having to regurgitate the same stuff over and over. It's difficult for anyone to find the "good stuff" using Search. Put it in an obvious and easily accessible place. I propose the following list:

How to post ME code

How to access information on web pages (different methods)

How to store information (text, ini, registry, environment var, pros and cons)

Replying Procedure/Use of Reply versus Reply Directly to this Post

Agreed. It's disappointing that ISS make little contribution in that way. Apart from the announcement of the latest version, there's only one pinned post.

--

Agreed. It's disappointing that ISS make little contribution in that way. Apart from the announcement of the latest version, there's only one pinned post.
This forum is not operated by ISS.

John I have a task here to dig up my old thread about "A Call to End Annoyances" and write a simple guide to posting which Joe said he would be receptive to review and pin if appropriate. Exporting example macros to a self contained MEX file is one of them. I'll get back to that this week, maybe today. If you like dig it up and read the comments and make any of your own if you like.

Interestingly one of the other issues is using the "Reply" instead of "Add Reply" button which you refuse to comply with ;-) I'd like you a lot more if you did that for me.

This forum is not operated by ISS.

I know. But I'd have thought it would be appropriate for ISS (and clearly in their interests) to pin basic posts covering FAQs about ME Pro, with PGM pinning stuff about forum procedures.

--

"Interestingly one of the other issues is using the "Reply" instead of "Add Reply" button which you refuse to comply with ;-) I'd like you a lot more if you did that for me"

If I had my way:

The "Quote" button would be moved to the bottom of the thread plus a "Multiple Quote" button

There would be no "Reply directly to this Post"

A thread is a thread. Side discussions are OT and should be tackled with a new thread or PM. All discussions should address the thread. Quotes of previous posts are fine but should be in the main thread. It's the responsibility of anyone posting to be aware of all posts, not just their pet side thread. In my experience the greatest confusion in forums is caused by people not reading the thread. I use the standard view so that as I scroll down, I'm reminded of the discussion by fleeting glimpses of posts. Length of scroll is also a good parameter to move on to another thread!

As far as pinned topics go, some comment needs to be forthcoming from PGM at least. Both PGM and ISS (as well as viewers) benefit from the forums. Improving access to information will reduce unnecessary duplication of the same old info. Even if you know what you are looking for, Search is really tedious. For those not very knowledgeable it's impossible, so the "Good Stuff" should be in FAQs or Pinned posts.

But if you use reply instead and use standard view it will look exactly the same to you. So you are doing this purely out of spite to make it unnecessarily difficult for outline readers in the forum? What I hear from you is "I do it this way because I think you're wrong to use outline view and I'm going to behave this way to frustrate you." Is that correct? If so I don't feel that's a very community minded way to act. FWIW I do not believe either way is wrong and that's why both are supported by this forum.

I read every post and in outline view I get to see all the relevant posts to that thread in one organized page. And I don't think every thread requires a new post. Although this one should by rites;-) Consider someone who has a symptom and 3 potential diagnosis arise from different forum members. Isn't it logical that each diagnosis follow it's own thread and that they are all a part of the same subject? I understand what you're saying but I think in my example making 4 posts out of one and linking them is far less efficient.

I added the Reply method to the list to resolve any issues. I don't have any issues. I brought up for those that do. The only reason I see to reply directly is that it's the simplest way to quote someone else's post. In some forums replying directly and particularly to a post high up the list is considered bad etiquette. There are no guidelines in this forum.

By separating out side discussions as new threads, it makes it easier for those to be found during a Search. Search digs out the titles of the posts containing the Search string. If you have 40 to plough through you are going to skip any that don't seem relevant by title but they may be relevant due to the contained side discussions.

If it were desired to have side discussions then there should be two buttons at the bottom of the post. "Quote" at the bottom of the thread for those in the main thread and "Quote for Reply to Side Issue" "Reply to Side Issue" or words to that effect for those heading sideways.

What I've seen mostly is that side discussions take place in the main thread. If it becomes clear it's a long issue, someone turns it into a new thread. All those side discussions are making the main thread unwieldy for those not interested in them.

"Interestingly one of the other issues is using the "Reply" instead of "Add Reply" button which you refuse to comply with ;-) I'd like you a lot more if you did that for me"

If I had my way:

The "Quote" button would be moved to the bottom of the thread plus a "Multiple Quote" button

There would be no "Reply directly to this Post"

A thread is a thread. Side discussions are OT and should be tackled with a new thread or PM. All discussions should address the thread. Quotes of previous posts are fine but should be in the main thread. It's the responsibility of anyone posting to be aware of all posts, not just their pet side thread. In my experience the greatest confusion in forums is caused by people not reading the thread. I use the standard view so that as I scroll down, I'm reminded of the discussion by fleeting glimpses of posts. Length of scroll is also a good parameter to move on to another thread!

As far as pinned topics go, some comment needs to be forthcoming from PGM at least. Both PGM and ISS (as well as viewers) benefit from the forums. Improving access to information will reduce unnecessary duplication of the same old info. Even if you know what you are looking for, Search is really tedious. For those not very knowledgeable it's impossible, so the "Good Stuff" should be in FAQs or Pinned posts.

My views are similar. I like a single REPLY button. I far prefer Standard method for viewing. For that reason, I find it confusing when focused reply posts don't make it clear what post, topic and person they're replying to. At minimum, that needs just one extra word, the name. And optionally a brief quote, typically the question that was asked. If interesting side issues develop it's a matter of judgement as to if/when these should spawn a new thread.

--

I was loathed to add the forum guideline item because I suspected it would draw negative comment. "That's a good idea" would have been a constructive response to having it as an item for discussion. It illustrates however, that the comments have completely derailed the thread and shows why that one issue should have been taken out as a separate thread. That's what I had envisaged if some input had been received from PGM. Each item would become a thread that everyone contributed to and end up as Pinned.

Unfortunately, creating new threads and transposing/copying posts only works well if those in control of the forum do it. I guess it could be muddled around.

I was loathed to add the forum guideline item because I suspected it would draw negative comment. "That's a good idea" would have been a constructive response to having it as an item for discussion. It illustrates however, that the comments have completely derailed the thread and shows why that one issue should have been taken out as a separate thread. That's what I had envisaged if some input had been received from PGM. Each item would become a thread that everyone contributed to and end up as Pinned.

Unfortunately, creating new threads and transposing/copying posts only works well if those in control of the forum do it. I guess it could be muddled around.

The owner of this forum is a very busy man. We just need to work together to make the best of what we have. Hence my now regrettable suggestion. And that suggestion should make no difference to your experience in the standard view and loads of difference for those who use outline view. It's unfortunate that you choose to make some of the forum members experience more difficult but on the plus side I think we are in the minority. I have no more to say on this matter.