Macro Express Forums

Bug in displaying Multiple choice menu ?

That is strange for sure. It's annoying too because you spend time thinking what to enter and it does not appear. Even stranger is that you can make the dialog box any size.

You could send in a request to ISS for a larger dialog (it's not really a bug, a limitation). I've sent in my quota for today already.

• 2 weeks later...

There are several annoying issues with the multiple choice text box like this. Wait until you see the logic behind when it becomes two columns. In the past I've even created truncating routines to clean up the display. In fact I even have an algorithm for sizing so it's always just large enough when the number of items is unknown. BTW did you know you can create multiple choice lists with a string delimited with CRLF? There's a tutorial on my website.

Anyway one way around long text is to supplement with a floating text box. Say you want to select a US aircraft carrier but some of the names were too long. Probably not but bear with me. In the multiple choice box make a list like this:

CVN-65

CVN-68

CVN-69

CVN-70

CVN-71

CVN-72

CVN-73

CVN-74

CVN-75

CVN-76

CVN-77

Then open a floating text box net to it like this:

CVN-65 USS Enterprise

CVN-68 USS Nimitz

CVN-69 USS Dwight D. Eisenhower

CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson

CVN-71 USS Theodore Roosevelt

CVN-72 USS Abraham Lincoln

CVN-73 USS George Washington

CVN-74 USS John C. Stennis

CVN-75 USS Harry S. Truman

CVN-76 USS Ronald Reagan

CVN-77 USS George H. W. Bush

Now if you're like me I know the Nimitz, Vinson, and Reagan because I see it frequently in the harbor and know their hull numbers. But for the rest I can refer to the text box hovering right next to it where you don’t' have that stupid limitation on column width.

Anyway just thought I would pass it along.