Macro Express Forums

How can ME sense the end of a text line?

Hello everyone.

I have finally started to learn how to "text Process" with some text files and I am having a hard time figuring out how ME is supposed to know where the end of a chunk of data versus the end of the text line.

Am I supposed to tell ME that when it discerns a CRLF, then do something? In other words, ME reads the text line-by-line, but I want it to be able to tell it that it needs to gather the whole chunk and create another temporary text file by appending everything that I want by looking for the CRLFs?

Just some suggestions/explanation please. I hope that no one writes a script for me.

Thanks!

Pat

If you are using Text File Process MEP looks for the EoL delimiter (CRLF) and returns the data in between. Each iteration it returns the next bit between the EoLs. Of course in the first iteration it's BoF (Beginning of File) to the first EoL and the last is EoL to EoF (End of File). But you do not tell it what the EoL characters are.

I'm not sure what you're trying to do but it sounds like you want to process a text file line by line and create another text file as a result. In this case you could create your output file with the Text File Modify > Append to File command opting to add CRLF. This way you can go thru the first file line by line, test, tweak, or what have you can create an output file. Is that what you are trying to do?

• 2 weeks later...