Macro Express Forums

How to disable global default

When I define a variable I would like it is the default was not global (Make this variable availible...). I looked in the registry but couldn't find anything to change this. Does anyone know how?

Create a Macro Express macro that is activated by the "Variable Properties" dialog box gaining focus. The script checks the state of the "Make this variable to macros called by this macro" checkbox by sniffing for pixel = black. If it's found, uncheck it.

It's not an ideal solution, but if there are no registry hacks, it's better to spend 10 minutes writing a macro than to manually change the setting dozens or hundreds of time.

This script does the trick nicely enough.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <TAB><TAB><TAB><SPACE> // Navigate to the checkbox, uncheck it.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB><SHIFT><TAB> // Navigate back to "Variable Name"

Scope = Global

Activation = "Variable Properties" is opened.

Obviously, this script, as written, resets the checkbox to global if you open the window again. But I wanted to see what I could up with in under five minutes.

A good fall idea back but I'd rather have a proper fix. I work in many different MEX files all day long so I'd constantly have to be importing this macro. Not a huge deal but a single reg hack would be preferable.

I work in many different MEX files all day long so I'd constantly have to be importing this macro.

I have a set of the scripts that I use to simplify the job of creating macros. I include it in every client MEX file that I work on.

I don't bother to disable these scripts, as the chances that a client will activate one by accident is virtually nil. There are not many people in this mouse-centric world who would try pressing key combos like "Ctrl + Alt + Shift + F12!" And even if someone did press one of the keys, they would need to have Macro Express or the Scripting Editor open. Almost all my scripts are application or window specific for Macro Express.

I appreciate all your suggestions but i do know how to write and distribute macros ;-) But in this case my question is how to change the default, not work around the problem. My hope is that a programmer at ISS might read this and give me a clue. If there is no such option then I'll resort to the macro.

When I define a variable I would like it is the default was not global (Make this variable availible...). I looked in the registry but couldn't find anything to change this.

There is not an option to change this default. The global option is set by default since that most closely matches how variables work in Macro Express 3.