Macro Express Forums

Windows 7 freezes

Hello all!

I recently experienced a total freeze on a Windows 7 computer using Macro Express Pro. It happened during a test run when Debugging "Showing Variable Values". It happened more than once.

Has anyone else experienced this? It is really frustrating because obviously this is the most important part of ME Pro.

Is there a workaround or anything else that solve this problem?

Thanks!

Pat

Check my other posts (slightly off topic) you will see I have been talking just about this. I've had it happen 3 times now, even recorded a video once, and it has been reported as a bug to ISS. If you noticed any other symptoms or have any additional information I'd say post it here or submit to ISS. Assuming it's the same ting however. In my experience it was always during a debug run while hitting F9 with no variables window open. And the macro was simple and after reboot ran just find so it appears to have nothing to do with the macro. The result is essentially everything based on Windows Explorer freezes but one can get to other applications. Even enough to close some of them. If I open Task Manager it pops up but at the processes tab (default) I just get a spinning wheel and it never propagates.

The last time I was able to force a log off and so far that's the best solution I can think of. I can't think of any way to kill a process or any such thing.

I had another freeze just now and thought of a new trick. I switched users to another with admin privileges and was able to use the Windows Explorer, Task Manager and everything just fine in there. By opting to show processes from all user in the Task Manager I was able to kill the 4 MEP processes fro the other session. When I returned to my original session everything was responsive again. Even the run boxes I called for with Win+R were standing at attention. It appears MEP is definitely the culprit. Next time I'll try killing just one thing at a time and see if I can narrow it down further. My money's on the scripting editor. But at least now I have a more reasonable means to recover.

So what's common? It appears Pat and I both have W7, what about anyone else who has experienced this? I'm 64 bit maybe that's another commonality. Pat what bit version are you running?

I just had another freeze and did the user switch trick again but this time tried something a little different. First I killed MacScript.exe and went back to my session to find it still frozen. Then I went back and killed MacEdit.exe but again this did not thaw the first session. After I killed the final process MacExp.exe it finally thawed the first session. Not that much new, just that it seems all the MEP processes must be killed in order to get it to thaw.

I just had another freeze and did the user switch trick again but this time tried something a little different. First I killed MacScript.exe and went back to my session to find it still frozen. Then I went back and killed MacEdit.exe but again this did not thaw the first session. After I killed the final process MacExp.exe it finally thawed the first session. Not that much new, just that it seems all the MEP processes must be killed in order to get it to thaw.

In contrast, I also had a freeze yesterday; but killing just MaxExp.exe and leaving MEProc64.exe running cured the freeze on this particular occasion.

I think there's only one consistent rule that holds true in all freezing circumstances: there are no rules; each instance can be different from any other.

For example, I've experienced freezes where:

- killing one process and restarting MEP cures the problem

- killing both processes and restarting MEP cures the problem

- killing both processes and restarting MEP does not cure the problem, nor does logging out - only a reboot works

- facing east and uttering imprecations never works, but it may help you feel better!

On my machine it's very consistent. Other machines could either have a different symptomatology or it might also be a sign of a different problem. Who knows. What is also interesting on mine is the frequency. If I sit down for a full day of macro writing it will freeze 3 times. And always when I hit F9 and apparently before any script command is executed.

Another thing I noticed after reading your post is that in the last couple of times I killed off MEP processes MEProx64.exe was not running. I have no idea what that does but maybe it failing to launch or crashing and being missing is the problem. Could be a clue. I wonder if only 64 bit users are having the same freeze I am.

I have been running Windows 7 for a few months, and initially, I had a lot of crashes as well. Not only with Macro Express, but with other programs as well.

My system still hangs occasionally, but not nearly as often. I arrived at this (relatively) stable place by disabling as many Windows 7 themes, gadgets, and features as has been practical. For example, I am using the Windows "Classic" display theme rather than the glitzier "Aero." (In my opinion, the newer themes make it difficult to tell at a glance which window, and which object within a window has focus. Overall, this makes the computer harder for me to use.)

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to experiment with disabling all Windows 7 eye candy, and determine whether Macro Express becomes more stable.

I have been running Windows 7 for a few months, and initially, I had a lot of crashes as well. Not only with Macro Express, but with other programs as well.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to experiment with disabling all Windows 7 eye candy, and determine whether Macro Express becomes more stable.

The first thing I do after installing a new OS is remove all eye candy (except for the ability to see a window while dragging, and ClearType).

I generally resist 'eye candy' but I tried it both ways and I really like most of the standard visual enhancements. However if one is running an older machine the graphics performance might not be up to snuff. But I've not had any real problems due to the Aero interface unless this is one of them.

I run Windows 7 64 bit. Have had the system "freeze" symptom while running MEP. System thaws after killing all MEP processes. I put "freeze" in quotes because although the system response is VERY VERY slow, if you wait long enough you can bring up the task manager and kill the MEP processes without logging out. I have tried killing everything except MEP and could not find any other process that was interacting in a bad way with MEP. I currently am only running one very simple scheduled macro that periodically moves a file form one directory to another.

Rick

I frequently have severe slow-downs of Windows 7 Home Premium (32-bit). It gets slower and

slower until it is unusable. If I catch it quickly enough, I can shut down

Macro Express Pro and normal activity is restored immediately.

I do not have to be running any macros for this to happen.

Regarding Aero 3d flip, I find this the best way to change and see which

window has the focus.

<grouse>

Most of my macros are 'text type' macros. So often if they

include chord key commands they do something completely different from what manually

typing the key combinations would do. I am beginning to wonder if Macro Express Pro

is really useful for what I do, at least on Windows 7. It also interferes with Clipmate.

</grouse>

Regards

_John Sampson_

• 2 weeks later...

I run Windows 7 64 bit. Have had the system "freeze" symptom while running MEP. System thaws after killing all MEP processes. I put "freeze" in quotes because although the system response is VERY VERY slow, if you wait long enough you can bring up the task manager and kill the MEP processes without logging out. I have tried killing everything except MEP and could not find any other process that was interacting in a bad way with MEP. I currently am only running one very simple scheduled macro that periodically moves a file form one directory to another.

Rick

I've found a simple solution that works for me. I have a macro that runs every night that restarts MEP. ;)

Rick

• 10 months later...

I *THINK* I have narrowed this down to a conflict with another running app. I've had this problem for a few months and it occurs generally once a week.

Last time it happened I killed several background apps and it fixed the problem. Next time I will try to narrow it down.

In the mean time let's see if any of you are also running one of these apps so we can see if there's a correlation.

The apps I killed were:

32bit Fax

Outlook 2003

WinPatrol

Logmein

PopPeeper

AnyDVD

Google Calendar Sync

Faststone Capture

Display Fusion

Allway Sync

Eraser

TaskIcon

Hott Notes

My prime suspect would be Faststone Capture. This is a screen capture app that intercepts the PrintScreen key, probably in a similar manner that Macro Express hooks into the keyboard. Runner up would be Hott Notes (a Post It note program) which also intercepts the keyboard for hot keys. I happen to have hot keys disabled in Hott Notes since I don't use them, but it's possible that there is still a conflict involving the hook into the keyboard. None of the other apps would seem to have anything in common with the way Macro Express functions.

I have this problem a lot. The only common app is Eraser but this was happening before Eraser. But I do run a similar app to one of yours and that's SnagIt.

I can cause this problem to occur, almost on demand! In one window I have Directory Opus or Explorer open, and in another I have VideoRedo, which has just finished saving a video file in Mpeg 2 format. Now, in window one, I navigate to the next video file I want to edit, and the MEP freeze happens, 90% of the time, while moving the cursor. Note that MEP is not being used for anything, it's simply loaded (Windows 7 Professional, x64).

I can cause this problem to occur, almost on demand! In one window I have Directory Opus or Explorer open, and in another I have VideoRedo, which has just finished saving a video file in Mpeg 2 format. Now, in window one, I navigate to the next video file I want to edit, and the MEP freeze happens, 90% of the time, while moving the cursor. Note that MEP is not being used for anything, it's simply loaded (Windows 7 Professional, x64).

Have you told ISS? If they could reproduce that would be awesome.

Have you told ISS? If they could reproduce that would be awesome.

Quite honestly, Cory, I have virtually given up on ISS! They show little interest in anything I have reported to them in the last 1-2 years, and I get no feedback from them apart from the problem registration email. And who knows whether my ability to replicate the problem most of the time is unique to my machine? If I were in tech. support and received a submission from a user along the lines of what I would report in this instance, I (the support guy) would throw up my hands in horror!

Quite honestly, Cory, I have virtually given up on ISS! They show little interest in anything I have reported to them in the last 1-2 years, and I get no feedback from them apart from the problem registration email. And who knows whether my ability to replicate the problem most of the time is unique to my machine? If I were in tech. support and received a submission from a user along the lines of what I would report in this instance, I (the support guy) would throw up my hands in horror!

I understand and to some extent agreeRecentlyty I'vexperienceded a renewed interest in working on some of these bugs so I'm hoping things are turning up. I know there were some distractions from MEP @ ISS but I get the feeling that there's some renewed vigor. Time will tell. I appreciate you hanging out here though for users even if you're frustrated with ISS.

• 1 month later...

As we have worked on this issue over the past year or so, we have discovered that there may be several separate problems that cause this symptom. We recommend the following.

1. Upgrade to Macro Express Pro v 4.3.0.1 (or later). We have made changes that improve stability, not only for Windows 7 but all versions of Windows.

2. Turn off the 'Clipboard Hook' by unchecking the 'Use the clipboard hook' option found in Options, Preferences, Activations. This change does not prevent using clipboard copy and paste commands in your macros.

3. Turn off the 'Keyboard Remapping' hook by clicking the 'Disable keyboard remapping' option found in Options, Preferences, General and the Misc tab.

4. Make sure that you have applied all the latest Windows 7 patches from Microsoft. Some of these patches improve the stability of Windows 7 when running Macro Express Pro.