Macro Express Forums

Copy Files "issues" in Windows 7

peb

Hey y'all,

Newb here - been lurking for a few weeks (man, there's a wealth of information here!) - just now registered.

I looked through the first 10 pages of Macro Express 3.x and didn't see anything that resembled my issue.

I've been using ME for 3 or 4 years now and have gotten fairly adept at "customizing" scipts to compensate for the various eccentricities of the various PC's it's used on. However, this one has me stumped. I'm not entirely sure that it's an ME issue - it could well be the OS but I'd love to tap into the knowledge here to see if I can find a solution much faster than trial and error on my own.

I have a scheduled macro that copies selected folder, subfolders, and files from my hard drive to our NAS server. Worked like a charm on my XP box. This week, it was replaced with a new, Windows 7 machine and the copy fails - the message it gives is something like Access Denied - Destination Folder. I've tried a manual copy of a folder and 7 asks for permission to overwrite (as it should). When running on the XP box, it never asked permission when the macro was running - no, it appears that it is.

So, what's changed? Is there a permission I've failed to check? Or is there a "conflict" between my version of ME (3.5C - 3.5.3.1) and Windows 7.

Thanks in advance and sorry if I missed where this has been addressed before. Appreciate anyone pointing me in a direction!

peb

The problem may very well be due to the enhanced protection in Windows 7. However, the first thing to try is to upgrade Macro Express 3 to the latest version. Macro Express v 3.5.3.1 is not compatible with Windows 7 (or Vista). This upgrade is free if you have a Macro Express 3 license. See our Upgrade Information page for more information.

Since the version of Macro Express you have installed is not compatible with Windows 7 or Vista you will need to follow these special instructions to install the later version:

• Uninstall the previous version of Macro Express
  • Reboot
  • Install Macro Express v 3.8a or later
  • Uninstall Macro Express v 3.8a or later
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall Macro Express v 3.8a or later
  • Reenter the license information you received when you purchased Macro Express 3

These steps are necessary because uninstalling a version of Macro Express that is compatible with Windows 7 or Vista cleans up things that are stored in unusual places by Windows when an incompatible version of Macro Express has been installed.

For more information refer to the knowledgebase article What changes were made to Macro Express for Windows Vista. While this was written for Vista it also applies to Windows 7.