Macro Express Forums

After upgrading to MEPro, causing clipboard copy problems / conflicts...

I'm on Win7 x64. After upgrading to MEPro, it is causing clipboard copy problems for my text-to-speech program [2nd Speech Center]. I set my 2nd Speech Center to watch clipboard for text and then it reads it aloud. Text copies fine if my intentions are pasting the text, but my 2nd Speech Center doesn't always read it aloud anymore [only 70% success]. Perhaps MEPro is causing clipboard watch conflicts? I didn't have this problem when I was using ME3. Can this be fixed?

BTW: This problem is not specifically related to any macro commands. It happens even if I manually press CTRL+C on the keyboard.

ALSO: In terms of how this affects using macro commands to copy, I can keep this problem from occuring if I use the Lock Player command. I did a lot of testing on one of my macros that includes a clipboard copy command. The copying part works with only 70% success when not using Lock Player. But works 100% success when using Lock Player. However, this is only a fix for macro clipboard copy commands and doesn't fix the system wide clipboard copy problem.

Try disabling your clipboard hook in MEP. This hook monitors clipboard contents to support the feature of activating macros based on clipboard contents. If you do not use any clipboard activations you do not need it. If you have conflicts and need it you need to report it to ISS support and have them help you with it.

• 2 months later...

i have been testing this clipboard copy problem for a long time now. whenever this happens, i "terminate macro express editor and player" and restart it. then the clipboard copy problems go away for awhile. can this be fixed?

btw: i didn't disable the clipboard hook option due to me using the other method i just mentioned.

im now on 4.1.7.1

I actually just implemented a fix for this yesterday as we're finding that if a clipboard monitor is in place, the clipboard is not always "redrawn" properly. Apparently Microsoft's documentation concerning clipboard monitors is incorrect, so I've written up a slight modification to our monitor to "fix" it so that other programs aren't affected.

I actually just implemented a fix for this yesterday as we're finding that if a clipboard monitor is in place, the clipboard is not always "redrawn" properly. Apparently Microsoft's documentation concerning clipboard monitors is incorrect, so I've written up a slight modification to our monitor to "fix" it so that other programs aren't affected.

Windows 7's use of the clipboard appears to have changed from previous versions. I use ClipMate, and it has a feature called PowerPaste which allows you to have ClipMate return the currently selected clip and automatically move up or down to cause the next clip in the list to become active. Thus I can select PowerPaste, then press Ctrl-V 3 times and paste 3 different values from the clipboard. However, in Windows 7 (X64), the moving up and down the list of clips happens as soon as I select PowerPaste and before I've had a chance to paste any clip. Chris Thornton of ClipMate says this is caused by the clipboard having been reserved by some program, i.e. Windows 7 itself in this case.

Windows 7's use of the clipboard appears to have changed from previous versions. I use ClipMate' date=' and it has a feature called PowerPaste which allows you to have ClipMate return the currently selected clip and automatically move up or down to cause the next clip in the list to become active. Thus I can select PowerPaste, then press Ctrl-V 3 times and paste 3 different values from the clipboard. However, in Windows 7 (X64), the moving up and down the list of clips happens as soon as I select PowerPaste and before I've had a chance to paste any clip. Chris Thornton of ClipMate says this is caused by the clipboard having been reserved by some program, i.e. Windows 7 itself in this case. [/quote']

That sounds about right. What I observed was that if I had two instances of a clipboard hook (in this case it was Keyboard Express and Macro Express because I accidentally copied the clipboard hook code into Keyboard Express. It turned out, though, to be a blessing because it demonstrated the problem), that it would take two copy operations to get the correct text recognized by Macro Express. The first copy would result in a blank clipboard and the second would result in the correct text.

I'll make sure that we test this out as thoroughly as possible, too. I want to make sure that we get this right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have found that the clipboard hook seems to cause issues in several places. I once had a user's machine that for no particular reason would slow way down and act glitchy. I disabled the clipboard hooks and it ran great after that. I recommend to all that unless you are using clipboard contents for macro activation it's safest to disable the clipboard hook