Macro Express Forums

Sending <Insert> to a minimized tab

I do not believe you can with MEP. As I understand it most applications ignore UI inputs when minimized or not focused so even if you did it from a proper programming language. Unless of course the application has some sort of API that supports it.

If you have an applications that you don't want to see but want to interact with their GUI you could always run it in a Virtual Machine. The software is free and opens up all sorts of possibilities. I often use this when the users still needs their computer to work but also need to run apps full screen. It works very well.

I think it's possible. This worked with a specific Word file:

Get Control: (WINWORD.EXE) -> %Control%

Delay: 250 milliseconds

Text Type (Send Text Directly to Control %Control%): Hello World!

Without the delay, the script did not work when the document was minimized. With it, no problem.

I think it's possible. This worked with a specific Word file:

Get Control: (WINWORD.EXE) -> %Control%

Delay: 250 milliseconds

Text Type (Send Text Directly to Control %Control%): Hello World!

Without the delay, the script did not work when the document was minimized. With it, no problem.

Hi Alan,

That looks fascinating. But I'm relatively inexperienced with Controls. Could you post the code please?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

<GET CONTROL Flags="1" Program_Name="NOTEPAD.EXE" Class="Notepad" Title="Untitled - Notepad" Control="\"Edit\",\"1\"" Variable="%Control%" Caption="Untitled - Notepad" Partial="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="250"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="2" Control="%Control%" Text="Hello! "/>

Here is another example. You must have an *unsaved* Notepad document open. Its title bar must read "Untitled - Notepad".

Notepad can be minimized or behind another window, but it has to be open! Choose hotkey activation, ensure that Scope is global, and have fun.

<GET CONTROL Flags="1" Program_Name="NOTEPAD.EXE" Class="Notepad" Title="Untitled - Notepad" Control="\"Edit\",\"1\"" Variable="%Control%" Caption="Untitled - Notepad" Partial="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE"/>
<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="250"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="2" Control="%Control%" Text="Hello! "/>

Here is another example. You must have an *unsaved* Notepad document open. Its title bar must read "Untitled - Notepad".

Notepad can be minimized or behind another window, but it has to be open! Choose hotkey activation, ensure that Scope is global, and have fun.

Many thanks, Alan. That opens up all sorts of ideas.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I like the examples here, but I bring it back to my original question. Can this be done with non-text items such as <insert>? I think Cory might have hit the nail right on the head. It hasn't worked for me either. maybe I am wrong. Sending text to a control is easy using Text Type then send it to a control. However, sending something like F2, <INSERT> or SHIFT+G doesn't work well with ME. I know Autohotkey/AutoIT have this, but right now I don't want to learn another language.

I mighthave a workaround though. Force the top page to stay on top and activate the minimized program by maximizing it. That way the computer is doing the work behind the scenes. once the action is complete, re-minimize the program that needed the <insert> command and undo the screen on top.

I wish I could find a way to do it with my original proposal.

Pat

It might be a bug. I can send certain keystrokes, such as "Hello" and <ENTER> to the control, but <BACKSPACE>, <DELETE>, <SHIFT><HOME>, <F3> and <ALT>f insert the literal keystrokes.

When I mixed and matched strings that work with those that don't, things get stranger. Hello<ENTER> works, but not Hello<BACKSPACE>.

I submitted this as a bug. Gosh I hope they fix this.

Well, I don't see why you think you're so special! :rolleyes:

I have submitted several bug reports for MEP in the last few months. Initially I'd get a confirmation that they've received the bug report. But never another word! I suppose I have up to half a dozen outstanding bugs, and no evidence of any further interest on Insight's part. And some of these bugs are serious ones, for example the inability to create a macro in a variable and then run it when the macro refers to any variables other than %t[n]%, %n[n]%, etc.

My impression is that Insight has bitten off more than they can chew, and have essentially given up on producing a product that compares in any way with its predecessor for speed or reliability.

Paul, on the Report a Bug web page it says:

You will not receive a personal email response unless we need more information.

On the Reporting Bugs and Requesting Features topic, pinned above, it indicates that issues entered into our tracking system via the Report a Bug and Request a Feature web pages are reviewed by developers, not customer support people. If you want a personal reply about an issue, you should contact Customer Support.

Each bug report and feature request is analyzed to determine their priority. Changes are made according to priority. Just because you have not heard from us about a specific issue does not mean we are not working on it. If you need to know the status of an issue, just ask us.

Are any of the issues you are interested in included in the many changes released last week?

Paul, ...

Are any of the issues you are interested in included in the many changes released last week?

Only one - "Made a change to keep the running man icon from staying in the system tray after the macro has terminated."

The major one of variables not working in "Run macro from a variable" is not mentioned, nor the one of the display in the script editor of available macro commands being garbled. The first of these was reported in March. Perhaps the second, reported in January, is fixed by your "Fixed a bug where the command pane could get confused and displayed the wrong information." - I shan't know until I can escape from the UK (what a horrible place it has become in the 20 years I've been away!) back to Oz.