Macro Express Forums

Windows commands erratic

I've had several instances of this problem over the last week.

Sometimes the Windows Move and Size commands appear to be generating a false error message, that the "window does not exist", when it plainly does.

It's happened in several different macros, but here's a typical example:

Open Folder to "C:\Docs\My Videos\MAGIX Exports"

Wait for Window Title: C:\Docs\My Videos\MAGIX Exports

Window Move and Size: Move "C:\Docs\My Videos\MAGIX Exports" to (1281,27) and size to 316 x 836

It's inconsistent from one run to another. Sometimes the 1st of several such Move and Size commands in the macro will give the error, sometimes the last, sometimes none.

I'm wondering if it's some bug with the Wait for Window Title command? Especially as I've recently reported a bug with that command's Exact/Partial options. Is a Wait for Window generally regarded as essential before applying the moving & sizing, BTW?

Similar behaviour noticed by anyone else please?

Edit: IMO it's definitely a bug with the Wait for Window Title command.

In the macro above there are 7 groups like that one. I disabled the Wait and replaced it with a 0.5 second delay. The macro ran OK 5 times in succession.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

It may or may not be a bug in the Wait for Window Title command. I won't dismiss that possibility. However, let's look at one thing, please.

What version of Windows are you using? I ask because in Vista and 7, the window titles are no longer visible. As such, it's easy to get the wrong title. In Windows XP and earlier, if the folder window had the explorer treeview on the left side, then the window title would contain the full path. But, if the treeview was not visible then the window title would contain just the name of the folder you're looking at.

In Vista and 7 the treeview is always present, so you would think that the window title would contain the full path, but it doesn't. Instead, you need to change your "Wait for Window Title" commands so that they're not waiting for an explorer window with the full directory path in the title. This will also affect the "Window Move and Size" command as there is a central function that we use to locate the windows by title.

So, try changing your "Wait for Window Title" and "Window Move and Size" commands in this example to "MAGIX Exports" (without the quotes). I'd be interested in knowing if that fixes things (assuming you're running Windows Vista or 7).

If that doesn't fix things, then I'll gladly look into whether there is a bug there or not.

It may or may not be a bug in the Wait for Window Title command. I won't dismiss that possibility. However, let's look at one thing, please.

What version of Windows are you using?

XP

I ask because in Vista and 7, the window titles are no longer visible. As such, it's easy to get the wrong title. In Windows XP and earlier, if the folder window had the explorer treeview on the left side, then the window title would contain the full path. But, if the treeview was not visible then the window title would contain just the name of the folder you're looking at.

Not necessarily. I use only the single-pane 'My Computer' folders, but I have them set to show the full title, i.e. including path.

XP-FolderDisplay.jpg

In Vista and 7 the treeview is always present, so you would think that the window title would contain the full path, but it doesn't. Instead, you need to change your "Wait for Window Title" commands so that they're not waiting for an explorer window with the full directory path in the title. This will also affect the "Window Move and Size" command as there is a central function that we use to locate the windows by title.

So, try changing your "Wait for Window Title" and "Window Move and Size" commands in this example to "MAGIX Exports" (without the quotes). I'd be interested in knowing if that fixes things (assuming you're running Windows Vista or 7).

I'm not, so I'll await your further suggestions.

If that doesn't fix things, then I'll gladly look into whether there is a bug there or not.

Did you look into my bug report about Exact v Partial, which may have some connection with this issue?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK