Macro Express Forums

Macro Question

Hello,

Im new to macro express

Is there a way to make so if I have something on my clipboard and I press a key it will pull up google for me and search that term?

The search link is below after the = COPY CLIPBOARD HERE then to pull up a browser window with the google results

here's the search link http://www.google.com/search?q=

Any idea's on how to make this work?

Variable Set String %Clipboard% from the clipboard contents
Variable Modify String %Clipboard%: Trim
Launch Program and Activate Window: Program "FIREFOX.EXE", Parameters ""%Clipboard%"", Window "- Mozilla Firefox"

The second line isn't really necessary, but it should make the macro a little more reliable by stripping away leading and trailing spaces.

Launch Program and Activate Window: Program "FIREFOX.EXE", Parameters ""%Clipboard%"", Window "- Mozilla Firefox"

The second line isn't really necessary, but it should make the macro a little more reliable by stripping away leading and trailing spaces.

Alan: How does that invoke Google Search?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Hi Terry,

Google has been my homepage for so long – 12 or 13 years! – that I went on the assumption that the same is true for everybody. Probably not a good assumption…

The code that I posted only works if you have set Google as your homepage. (Also, I am using Firefox as my default browser, which may not be true for everybody.)

Alan,

I usually have FF re-open to its previous state, typically with 20-30 tabs open. (Used to be a lot more but I've been trying a 'simplified' work style for a week or so!)

And FF is usually (but not always) open anyway. So my amended macro looks like this:

Activate or Launch: Window "- Mozilla Firefox", Program "firefox.exe", Parameters ""

Web Site, "http://www.google.co.uk/", using Default Web Browser

// The following sub-macro tests the pixel colour of the 'X' button at top left of my FF screen, until it changes from red back to grey.

// It will obviously need changing to suit each user.

// And it could be replaced with a simple Delay command, with a time based on trial/error, although that would be less reliable.

Macro Run: Wait for FF web page ready // The text cursor should now be automatically placed in the search box, awaiting entry of a target.

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): %Clipboard%

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK