Macro Express Forums

IE Main Window Starting Coordinates

azdayton

First, this forum window erases all text if you hit ESC... What's up with that?

But for my question... I have some macros that need to be used by multiple users. Each has their Internet Explorer customized for their use. Some have the Menu turned on, some have more toolbars than others, some have the Favorites shared with the Tab bar, etc.

The upshot of this is that I can't ever count on the items displayed on a web page to be in exactly the same position when pulled up by different users. It can vary by as much as an inch.

Unfortunately, the custom apps we use don't have keyboard methods for accessing the controls, so I have to be able to do with with mouse clicks.

Does anyone have a reliable method for finding the coordinates for the top-left corner of the Internet Explorer "workspace"? That is, the portion that things load in, excluding toolbars, menu bars, favorite bars, etc? If I can get the mouse to the top-left of that, I can move from there to to the controls on the page that need to be used.

Thanks in advance for any help!

- Dayton - Mon. 12/06/2010 @ 11:11:02

You could use the Get Control command to get the upper-left location like this:

Get Control: (IEXPLORE.EXE) Using z-order -> %IE%
Mouse Move: 1, 1 Relative to Control: %IE%
Variable Set Integer %X%: Set to the Mouse X Coordinate
Variable Set Integer %Y%: Set to the Mouse Y Coordinate

To try this, copy the following and paste it into your macro. You may need to recapture the control, however. The control information is not always portable between versions of Windows.

<GET CONTROL Flags="1" Program_Name="IEXPLORE.EXE" Class="IEFrame" Title="Insight Software Solutions - All Products - Windows Internet Explorer" Control="\"Frame Tab\",\"28\",\"TabWindowClass\",\"5\",\"Shell DocObject View\",\"5\",\"Internet Explorer_Server\",\"1\"" Variable="%IE%" Caption="Insight Software Solutions - All Products - Windows Internet Explorer" Partial="FALSE" Wildcards="FALSE"/>
<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x04" X="1" Y="1" Control="%IE%" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>
<VARIABLE SET INTEGER Option="\x02" Destination="%X%"/>
<VARIABLE SET INTEGER Option="\x03" Destination="%Y%"/>