Macro Express Forums

Where is the "from" in Email Send?

I could change the view in outlook to add "From" to the Send Options, but I can't with Macro Express? Why is there not a line for "From" in the Recipients Tab in Email Send? What do I need to do to get it? Is it only in the MAPI options?

Also, how in their right mind, did Insight not have an HTML option for emails sent? Did I miss something?

Pat

You set it in the program preferences. I have even created macros to change this setting in the registry and change them back again. If you do so make sure to reload the preferences using the macro command.

Cory,

Where is it in the Preferences for me to change? I can't seem to find it.

Also, when I tried to send a sample email(because I am experimenting with it to see how it's used), I got this error message:

Line 1 Debug error: the message could not be sent.

there is only one line in this macro to see what it would do. I am pretty sure my settings are correct.

<EMAIL SEND Prompt_for_Recipients="FALSE" To="patgen@yahoo.com" Read_Receipt="FALSE" Subject_Mode="\x00" Subject="vn" Body="hh" Attach_Mode="\x00" _PROMPT="0x001A"/>

Pat

MEP looks in the HKCU hive first then the HKLM so it's best if you put them in HKCU.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express 4\Email Server

In here Address is the 'from' email address and Name is the from display name.

You know you can always try changing setting in MEP and see what effect they have in the registry if you're not sure what does what. I learned these things by experimentation myself.

Cory,

I am assuming then that when I want to automate using different "from" email addresses that it must be added to the registry everytime?

For example, if I wanted to use a "from" email address like john.smith@hotmail.com I would have to add it to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Insight Software Solutions\Macro Express 4\Email Server\Address using Macro Express. If I wanted to change it to Don.Brown@hotmail.com, the same would apply.

Pat

I am getting an error on sending any email:

I am not able to get the "Email Send" Preferences set up right to send email. I need your assistance please.

In the host line, I have Yahoo.com

In the port line, I have 465 (since I have yahoo Plus via Outlook)

I have the SMTP checked and My user name and password is the same as I have in Outlook

I have in Email Address my name and email address(when I choose to use my email, but would change if I use any other email address)

The error I am getting Line 1: Debug error: The message could not be sent

Pat

I am assuming then that when I want to automate using different "from" email addresses that it must be added to the registry every time?
This is correct. And as I mentioned before you have to Reload Macro Express Preferences every time as well.

To me this was an inelegant solution. Also MEP does not support HTML formatted messages. For this reason I developed a script to send email using CDO in VBScript per Paul's suggestion. Works really slick. There are many examples online.

MEP is not well suited for mass mailing. If the only purpose of this macro you are writing is to send bulk emails I suggest you use a proper application suited for it. Also with MS Word and OL even you can send "Mail Merge" to email.

These are not really issues with MEP but let me take a crack at them.

In the host line, I have Yahoo.com
A quick look online states that the proper SMTP address for Yahoo plus is "plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com". I seriously doubt it would be just "yahoo.com"
I have in Email Address my name and email address(when I choose to use my email, but would change if I use any other email address)
First try sending with your email address as a 'from'. It's very likely Yahoo will not let you use a different from address to prevent spam.

I noticed Yahoo's SMTP server requires SSL. I'm not sure if MEP supports talking SSL. I know it didn't in ME3 as per this post. Seems this guy couldn't get the Yahoo Plus to work either.

You might instead try to use your ISP's SMTP server. Often you don't even have to authenticate on these.

You're going to have troubles with this since you are behaving very much like a spammer and a lot of the industry has locked down the methods one can use. Me? I have my own Exchange server and domain so I get to do as I please!

Look online and there are several examples of how to send an email via the command prompt using Telnet. This is a very effective way to test your SMTP settings outside of MEP. Once you have a working set of settings here then go into MEP and try them there. You can also hire SMTP servers for pretty cheap.

Thanks Cory,

Before I started this thread, I tried all options.

It did not work even using my own email address. I tried it 10x's. I tried www.yahoo.com with a port of 25. I tried plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com with a 465 port. I tried a lot of things. It doesn't work.

I am not trying to use my email as Spam. I am trying to automate at work that does use Microsoft Exchange MAPI. We have multiple email addresses because we contract with many different companies.

I know I would have to use MAPI at work. I am just trying to work an example to see how it could work at home.

You also said:

This is correct. And as I mentioned before you have to Reload Macro Express Preferences every time as well.

Why? How is this done? Is this something manual?

Pat

Why? How is this done? Is this something manual?
No, it's a macro command. I gave you the exact text. I don't use the standard categories so let me see.... Ah, here under the Macro Express category.

You can send email with MAPI and VBScript as well. I opted to use CDO and VBScript because I didn't have to rely on OL being installed. But here's an example of using MAPI. You would run this with the External Script command. I just found this online and have not tested it. Just an example of what can be done. One can simply use MEP variables in here for recipients and other fields.

Set out=WScript.CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set mapi=out.GetNameSpace("MAPI") 
Set email=out.CreateItem(0)
email.Recipients.Add("[email="Chris.Jordan@cmg.com"]Chris.Jordan@cmg.com[/email]")
email.Subject = "Test"
email.Body = "Test"
email.Attatchments.Add("c:\AnyPath\AnyFile.txt")
email.Send
Set outlook=Nothing
Set mapi=Nothing