Macro Express Forums

Can Me Overwrites Winxp Shortcut Key?

t.s.lim

HI,

WinXP uses Alt-Tab to cycle through running applications, Alt-Space for poping up properties menu and so on.

While many applications are running under WinXP, say active/current application is ABC, I wish that when I press Alt-Space instead of poping the properties menu for ABC, the Alt-Space is passed as normal keystroke to ABC. Can ME help in this case?

t.s.lim

Sure. Create a macro with a HotKey activation of Alt+Space and use the Text Type command to type whatever you want instead of Alt+Space.

You could use the Scope property so this macro will only run when application ABC has focus and Alt+Space will work normally for all other applications.

Hi kevin,

But what I want is such that ABC will receive the keystroke "Alt-Space" not other keystroke combination.

i.e. I want Alt-Sapce being received by ABC instead of being intercept by window to pop the properties menu for ABC...

Well what happen if I TEXT TYPE again Alt-Space?? Isn't that a nested call to the same macro?

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Even though it does not directly solve my problem, but I get an inspiration from you and I come up with a solution.

First, in application ABC, I assign such that another Keystroke say Ctl+Shift+Y for the action I want, then I use ME to intercept Alt-Space and TEXT TYPE the Ctl+Shift+Y.

Ha, ha, now whenever ABC is running and Alt-Space is pressed, ABC will do what I want :)

Again, thanks for your help!