Macro Express Forums

Set Variable from Prompt command

margaret

I have a macro that prompts the user with an already existing variable. OK, it does this fine, but the user doesn't like the fact that the string is highlighted in the dialog, and wants to know if I can get the macro to display the information unhighlighted so that he can go ahead and type without having to do anything to unhighlight the text so that he won't overwrite it. I'm not seeing anything about options like this, and I don't think I can send a keystroke to the dialog when the dialog opens but before the user does anything - right?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a macro that prompts the user with an already existing variable. OK, it does this fine, but the user doesn't like the fact that the string is highlighted in the dialog, and wants to know if I can get the macro to display the information unhighlighted so that he can go ahead and type without having to do anything to unhighlight the text so that he won't overwrite it. I'm not seeing anything about options like this, and I don't think I can send a keystroke to the dialog when the dialog opens but before the user does anything - right?

Thanks.

Wipe the Variable contents immediately before the prompt?

That would defeat the whole purpose of having the variable editable in the dialog. Meanwhile I wrote to customer support and they told me there's no way to do what I wanted at this time; it's just the way that command works.

I use the prompt for the same thing. To type a comment or to be able to change a comment it previously captured. Let's say I am using %T1%, I have it print it's value in the variable prompt by having %T1% in the prompt directions.

This does confuse workers at first...but I just tell them to use the right arrow or left arrow to take the highlighting off. They can also use the HOME or END keys to do the same thing. Then if they need to chagne something they can scroll through the comment. It just takes some getting use to. Good Luck in training them. :unsure: