Macro Express Forums

Working with Drop Downs and Numbers

akscooter

I've searched the forum and found other resolutions for drop down problems, but so far, none have worked for me. I have a program with a drop down list of pay grades. I've been able to reproduce this problem in google docs and forms, so I know it's not limited to just my program.

The Drop Down:

<none> default

etc

When I create the google form without the <none>, I can simply use the variable %T8% and the proper item is selected. But when the <none> is added, nothing works. Unfortunately, I can not change the program's drop down items, or I would get rid of the <none> option.

I've tried switches, if statements, <arrow down>, and everything I can think of, but nothing seems to work. It just appears to skip that option.

Can anyone provide me some insight on how to handle this? I think it works without the <none> because it's comparing number to number. But with the <none> it becomes a text field.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jon

Maybe just walk down the dropdown using down arrow keystrokes until you get to the desired item?

The number of down arrows used can then be held in a variable.

Anything good happen when you open the dropdown and hit the alt key?

I've searched the forum and found other resolutions for drop down problems, but so far, none have worked for me. I have a program with a drop down list of pay grades. I've been able to reproduce this problem in google docs and forms, so I know it's not limited to just my program.

The Drop Down:

<none> default

etc

When I create the google form without the <none>, I can simply use the variable %T8% and the proper item is selected. But when the <none> is added, nothing works. Unfortunately, I can not change the program's drop down items, or I would get rid of the <none> option.

I've tried switches, if statements, <arrow down>, and everything I can think of, but nothing seems to work. It just appears to skip that option.

Can anyone provide me some insight on how to handle this? I think it works without the <none> because it's comparing number to number. But with the <none> it becomes a text field.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Jon

The Alt after did nothing, but thanks.

What ended up working was instead of using the switch, I used the IF Variable Contains. All the values I have are 1-9 so there are no duplicates. I just made multiple IF statements for each one, then executed a <Arrow Down> for each +1 for the initial.

I think the switch was comparing a number to text and failing all conditions. The IF variable = also does a number comparison and fails. The csv is completely in text. Once I set it to "contains" then it will look for a comparison of text and since 1=1 in both numerical AND text, it matches.

Thanks for the help!

Jon