Macro Express Forums

Set Current Directory

Cory

Short version: When setting a string from folder name it always defaults to "My Computer" in the dialog box. Is there a way to make it start from a specific folder or remember it's last folder it browsed to?

Longer version: I am setting a string from a folder name by prompting the user to browse to it. The Macro is a loop that will repeat many times. My problem is that the path the user wants to start I is way down the tree on a network share and the dialog box always opens to “My Computer” causing the user to click down thru several levels of directories. How can I eliminate this? Maybe there is another way for a user to select a folder in a certain directory.

Sorry for so many posts.

It depends on whether you are prompting for a folder or a filename. The Variable Set String %T1% from Folder Name does not have a way to select which folder to start in. But, the Variable Set String %T1% from File Name does.

To do this just set the variable that the Variable Set String from File Name will use to a value prior to the Variable Set String from File Name. Like this:

Variable Set String %T1% "e:\temp"
Variable Set String %T1% from File Name

• 1 month later...

Alternatively, try this vbs script; puts multiple selections of folders and/ or files from multiple folders if needed into a file for selection (eg FTP?)

FolderPickerVBS.JPG

Lets you pick initial directory.

Randall

(PS Hey - First time I have a thumbnail to click a picture; by accident, now I can't do it! -How is it done?

EDIT -sorry; corrected (missing registry entry for transfer) - uploaded again

FolderPickerVBS.mxe

Edited by randallc

I eventually created my own simple picker. The user types in the first three characters and it give a multiple choice dialog box that they can select from. Works super fast and slick. Thanks for the suggestions though.