Macro Express Forums

How to convert ME Pro 4.x macros to ME 3.x?

dforionstar

I find 3.x macros to be faster in some case so I would like to convert a few macros from 4.x Pro to ME 3.x. I've tried to export from 4 as playable (text) but nothing imports properly into 3.x.

Is there a way to do this even if it requires some editing of text files?

Thanks in advance!

I do not believe the scripts are backward compatible. You may need to recreate them from scratch.

I was thinking that it might be possible to replace Version 4 variable names with Version 3 variable names, and then export. (E.g., %Count% becomes %N1%.) But I don't think this will work, as the structure of commands in the two versions appears to be slightly different.

Alan is correct. There is not a way to convert a Macro Express 4 macro to Macro Express 3. The recommendation is to keep a backup copy of your Macro Express 3 macro file before converting. Macro Express Pro v 4.3.0.1 or later will perform this function automatically.

the structure of commands in the two versions appears to be slightly different.

The structure of the commands is significantly different.

Thank you Alan and Kevin.

I always keep backups. I tried exporting a 4.x playable macro and converting it to MEX 3.x, but coding is quite different in some cases, so I just recreated the macro in 3.x and all went well. The (playable/text) code generated by 4.x is actually much easier to read than 3.x.

By the way, have you heard of any cases where MEX 4.x macros actually run slower than in MEX 3.x in Firefox?