Macro Express Forums

waiting for alternate keypress (if keypress..)

margaret

I'd like to be able to have a "wait" command that would do one thing if one key is pressed and a different thing if a different key is pressed (there would only be two keys possible, and they can't be alphanumeric because this is right after the uses enters some data -- like it could be Enter or Tab). I don't see anything like that, so I suspect it's not possible. Enter will produce an action in the program into which we're entering data (an action we want to produce), and Tab won't. Sort of a continue yes/no? thing.

Or is there something I don't see that would be the equivalent of "if keypress equals..."?

Thanks!

ME v3 doesn't support this at all. Neither does MEP, except that it can provide the structure to allow such a facility to be developed (I have constructed exactly what you're after in MEP - it runs to 39 macros (1 macro for each keypress I potentially want to be able to monitor - all of which are identical except for the keystroke they detect - and 3 control macros).

Thanks, I didn't think there was something like that.

I might be able to do a menu of choices earlier in the macro, and then the result variable from that menu would govern what happens when the user presses Enter at the end; after the Enter keypress, I'd have "if variable blabla = such-and-such, then .... " etc. Actually that way I could have more options with what the macro does in general.