Macro Express Forums

Activate Window sometimes fails

HeyJim

I use ME and my numeric keypad to open different windows at various times during the workday rather then do an ALT-tab or even click on one of the icons/tabs at the bottom of the screen. In the course of a normal work day I wind up with so many windows open that I can lose several seconds just looking through all of my tabs. That's a real momentum breaker there when you have to do it as many times as I do through the day.

The ACTIVATE window function in ME comes in really handy but the setup startles me occasionally when I click to activate a window and it doesn't happen. What does happen in that situation is that the appropriate tab is highlighted at the bottom of my monitor instead which, once I realize it, needs a click in order to activate that screen. Momentum stumble again.

I thought the problem might be related to too many hooks being open so I went back and added a reset hooks (or whatever it is) to the end of most of my macros but it does not resolve the problem.

Any suggestions on how to make ACTIVATE window fail safe are greatly appreciated.

Can you provide the macro code (or relevant part thereof) please?

Activate or Launch: "Windows Internet Explorer" OR "iexplore.exe"

That's it. And I have a hot key attached of Alt+Page Down. There are several other similar setups. They all choke occasionally.

Screen shot attached.

post-284-0-69567500-1317672857_thumb.gif

• 1 month later...

Activate or Launch: "Windows Internet Explorer" OR "iexplore.exe"

That's it. And I have a hot key attached of Alt+Page Down. There are several other similar setups. They all choke occasionally.

Screen shot attached.

Is this the only running instance of Internet Explorer running and is this the only program you have this issue with or is it universal? My quick suggestion would be to use only the "Activate..." option rather than the "Activate or Launch".

it's a universal problem. I just used IE as an example. There are actually ten different macros set up to function this way and there are a combination of some just "Activate Window" and others "Activate or Launch." I think the next time this problem pops up though that I will check and see if it is limited to those using "Activate or Launch" then make a change. Thanks for the suggestion.

( sorry for my english... french native language speaker...)

I assumed you already did already check well to not have any other SAME text appearing in other programs & windows open....

I guess your use XP ?

I went thru some of same kinds of problems... especially in OS =XP ... but this kind of problems all disapear while using w7.

Advices:

- Microsoft IE explorer ... i would avoid it... "such piece of software loose his feet before the end of the day when a lot used!" ...try Mozilla

- Try to close or hide a windows after finish to use ... so, when activate another one , start id done from a clean base...

- The similar cases I encounterd, problem was coming from 1 program/windows wich was not 100% compatible...so you have to find out wich onegives problem...

and finally , I've made a small macro to help: I've named it : Activate_exact_windows_T5

it may help...( The problem with activate windows is that it use a "PARTIAL TITLE" ...and depend situations... it needs an EXACT windows title...

Here is macro:( This is not exactly the code I used wih is specific to my apps, but I just type in a generic code...so you may adapt it for your use...

Input= T5 ...your EXACT WINDOWS NAME

<IVAR2:01:01:0><REP3:08:000001:000002:0001:0:01:1><NMVAR:01:01:1:0000001:2:0000001><IFOTH:11:1:%T5%><ACTIVATE2:%T5%><ELSE><BREAK><ENDIF><REM2:_____________________________________ PLACE HERE Some Actions to Try... MINIMIZE, CLOSE , HIDE...etc,...><IFVAR2:2:01:4:5><REM2:_____________________________________ MINIMIZE all windows !><TEXTTYPE:<WIND>d<WINU>><ENDIF><IFVAR2:2:01:4:10><TBOX4:T:1:CenterCenter000278000200:000:Problem...Canot Activate windows :

%T5%><ENDIF><MSD:100><ENDREP>

You can also include inside some more IF windows NAME ...running.... then do some action like close first or else... to solve problem case per case...