Macro Express Forums

Error messages

Has anyone seen this before?

From time to time when running MEP macros (and by no means every time I run a macro), I get 6 error messages which I have to dismiss by clicking on OK for each:

SetPrefString: Error writing to preferences: SetPrefString (this appears twice)

SetPrefInteger: Error writing to preferences: SetPrefInteger (this also appears twice)

SetPrefBinaryProc: Error reading binary from preferences: SetPrefBooleanProc

ClosePref: Error: ClosePref

I do have full read/write access to the HKCU Macro Express 4 key and all its subkeys and values.

That must be one of the few errors I haven't had, so can't help I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm still using XP Pro.

Based on my own experience of obscure intermittent errors with ME Pro, one guess wouold be a timing issue. If so, almost impossible to pin down unless a clear association emerges with some other process occurring around the same time. Sometimes a hitherto reliable macro will suddenly either fail to run, generate errors, or crash. Although occasionally I've apparently fixed such issues by adding (or increasing) delays.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

That must be one of the few errors I haven't had, so can't help I'm afraid. Anyway, I'm still using XP Pro.

Based on my own experience of obscure intermittent errors with ME Pro, one guess wouold be a timing issue. If so, almost impossible to pin down unless a clear association emerges with some other process occurring around the same time. Sometimes a hitherto reliable macro will suddenly either fail to run, generate errors, or crash. Although occasionally I've apparently fixed such issues by adding (or increasing) delays.

I should have said these error messages are not macro error messages, they seem to be directly from Macro Express Professional itself. They are occurring about once in 3 macro executions, and they appear for any macro. I have reinstalled MEP, but this had made no difference. I'm hoping someone from Insight will read this and comment.

Yes I have many times but it's always reading preferences. I reported it to ISS some time ago as a bug.

I assume these are the preferences that are stored in the registry? I know my machine has a few problems at the moment, none of which I have been able to resolve. This is why I'm currently busy working on a complete reinstall. And it's so much fun! :ph34r:

That was my guess but I'm not certian. I do use the reg in my macros so I don't know if it's MEPs access or if it's coming from my macros.

Well, I'm certain it's not my macros! These macros are centuries old, and I've never seen these errors until very recently. And it happens with any macro.