Macro Express Forums

Scheduled macros - not with a screen saver loaded?

While trying to discover why a daily scheduled macro I've just written fails to run, I noticed the following footnote in Help that I don't recall seeing before:

Note: Screen Savers prevent a Scheduled Macro from operating correctly. Focus cannot be given to a program if a screen saver is running. Also, the security measures built into the "Lock Workstation" function of Windows 2000, XP and later prevent Macro Express from executing a macro.

How do others interpret that word 'running'? With the screen saver displayed? Or just set, ready to activate?

And presumably that restriction is general, for all macros, not just those with scheduled activation?

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

How do others interpret that word 'running'? With the screen saver displayed? Or just set, ready to activate?

And presumably that restriction is general, for all macros, not just those with scheduled activation?

I think running means "active" - in other words, the screen-saver is in charge.

And yes, I think the restriction is global.

Thanks Paul.

Have your macros been affected by this restriction? I tested a couple after configuring a screensaver, but they ran normally. So I suppose it means you need to test new macros with and without a screen saver active to be confident?

--

BTW screen savers are no longer of any functional benefit. Unless of course you're running a pre-EnergyStar CRT. You might consider turning it off. Really they're only a power consuming entertainment feature now. Much better to let your OS put the monitor in standby after a given amount of time.

Have your macros been affected by this restriction? I tested a couple after configuring a screensaver, but they ran normally. So I suppose it means you need to test new macros with and without a screen saver active to be confident?

Almost the first thing I do when installing Windows is to disable screen-savers, get rid of wallpaper, themes, etc. In other words, almost all candy floss! In fact, of the performance options available, I use only "Show window contents while dragging" and "Smooth edges of screen fonts".

So, no, I'm not affected by this restriction.

I'm similarly sparse with Windows effects. But I have a folder containing about 7,000 photos (a mixture of my own and Flickr downloads, mainly landscapes). These randomly appear as screen wallpaper, using a program called WSS Pro. Recently I've been experimenting with using the same photos as random screensavers, using XP's built in facilities, to compare resource usage and usability.

--