Macro Express Forums

Expand filename: what does it do?

In my tests, this checkbox in the Variable Set from File Path command doesn't appear to make any difference.

MEPro-ExpandFilename.jpg

Anyone able to confirm that please? Here's a simple test macro (code and MEX).

There's no mention of this option in the Help for the command.

<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Initial Instructions" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 Open an Explorer folder then close this message.\\f1 \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="821" Top="Center" Width="390" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<ALT>d" _COMMENT="Select the contents of the Address box, i.e. the folder name."/>
<TEXT TYPE Action="0" Text="<CONTROL>c" _COMMENT="Copy the folder name."/>
<DELAY Flags="\x01" Time="0.1"/>
<VARIABLE SET STRING Option="\x02" Destination="%tFolder%" NoEmbeddedVars="FALSE"/>
<REPEAT WITH FOLDER Path="%tFolder%" OnlyFiles="TRUE" Destination="%tFilename%" FullPath="TRUE" ProcSubfolders="FALSE"/>
<VARIABLE SET FROM FILE Filename="%tFilename%" Option="\x01" Name="%tName%" Extension="%tExtension%" Expand="FALSE" Flags="\x0C"/>
<TEXT BOX DISPLAY Title="Inside the Repeat Folder" Content="{\\rtf1\\ansi\\ansicpg1252\\deff0\\deflang2057{\\fonttbl{\\f0\\fnil Tahoma;}{\\f1\\fnil\\fcharset0 Tahoma;}}\r\n\\viewkind4\\uc1\\pard\\f0\\fs16 Filename\\f1  = \\f0 %\\f1 t\\f0 Filename%\r\n\\par Name\\f1  = \\f0 %\\f1 t\\f0 Name%\r\n\\par Extension\\f1  = \\f0 %\\f1 t\\f0 Extension%\r\n\\par \r\n\\par \r\n\\par }\r\n" Left="Center" Top="Center" Width="278" Height="200" Monitor="0" OnTop="TRUE" Keep_Focus="TRUE" Mode="\x00" Delay="0"/>
<END REPEAT/>

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

TestExpandFilename.mex

In my tests, this checkbox in the Variable Set from File Path command doesn't appear to make any difference.

Why then, it's correctly documented, isn't it? :lol:

If it does nothing (and I get the same results as you), then why on earth should Insight document it? :blink:

Why then, it's correctly documented, isn't it? :lol:

If it does nothing (and I get the same results as you), then why on earth should Insight document it? :blink:

Thanks for the confirmation.

Yes, I suppose it would require effort to actually remove it! ;)

--

Terry, UK

The Expand the filename option was discussed previously: Expand filename: what does it do? This option changes a relative file path to a fully qualified pathname.

If the current directory is set to "C:\Program Files\Macro Express Pro" and the filepath set to '..\Common Files', Expand the filepath will change it to "C:\Program Files\Common Files". Expanding a path of "\Program Files" will add the drive letter resulting in "C:\Program Files".

I have submitted a bug report to Insight Software so they can update the help.

Good answer, I thought I had come across that before.

My question is how does one set the current folder? Might be nice to set a working folder for a macro and work with relative paths. Or is it the case that the current folder is only ever the working folder for the MEP shortcut?