Macro Express Forums

Macros for PaintShop Pro

Anyone using macros to operate on PaintShop Pro? I get some very erratic behaviour. For example, the command

Text Type (Simulate Keystrokes): <CONTROL><F4> // Close file.

consistently closes the program, not just the file. As if it's sent Alt + F4 instead.

PSP itself has a scripting facility (using Python, of which I know nothing), so I guess there may be conflicts that make it hostile to ME Pro.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I haven't used it. But I have seen this behaviour in other programs that have child windows that Macro Express cannot detect. I have solved the problem in different ways:

1. Give focus to the child window before sending Ctrl+F4. You may be able to do a mouse click. In some cases, give focus to the parent window, and then send keystrokes to move focus to the child window. Experiment with F6, Ctrl+F6, Tab, and Ctrl+Tab, with and without adding a Shift.
  2. Does MEP's "Capture Window Control" utility detect the window you want to close? If so, you may be able to give focus to the window and then sending Ctrl+F4; or act on the control to close it rather than the window.
  3. Find an alternative keystroke to close the window. Is there a menu command, perhaps something like "File" > "Close Window?" If so, you can use <ALT>fc
  4. Does the window you want to close have its own system menu? Normally the system menu is activated by pressing <ALT><SPACE>. <ALT>- (hyphen) sometimes works for child windows. In that case, you may be able to close the window by sending: <ALT>-c (Alt hyphen, C for close)

Thanks Alan. Tried most of those, including Controls, but PSP seems obstinately uncooperative.. Thought I'd sorted it at one stage by exclusively using mouse moves/clicks and no keystrokes, but that proved unreliable too.

After many hours yesterday I finally succeeded by using PSP's own Batch Process facility. Happily the MEP commands to work with that section of PSP (bringing up the Batch dialog and setting up its many options etc, rather like IrfanView's if you're familiar with that) seemed free of the chaos that occurs in the main program, for some reason. Still tend to suspect a Python conflict issue. Or maybe a bizarre aversion to Repeat with Folder.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK