Macro Express Forums

Append file names

Spareman

First off I'd like to apoligise if this has been answered before, but an hours google search came up with nothing.

I am writing a macro to imrpove some instrumentaton in my lab (postgrad) and I need it to do the following basically,

Run experiment (data is saved as Scan.txt)

Take saved data and append the filename with a "1" e.g. Scan1.txt

Run experiment again (new data set saved)

Take saved data and append the filename with a "2" e.g. Scan2.txt

etc.

for about 100 iterations. I think my limited experience is good enough to complete the macro except for the writing of filenames. What I have so far is something along the lines of :-

variable N1 is the iteration variable

Repeat (Repeat 100 times)

Run experiment

Renamefile "Scan.txt" to "Scan + %N1% .txt"

End repeat

Thats basically all I need however the code needed for line 3 is completely lost on me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Shane

Hi Shane,

Although I'm no expert on this, I think that your problem is that the program sees N1 as a number, not as text. I did a little test myself, and could not get it to work as a number, but this did work.

Before the rename step, insert this step:

Variable Set String T1, choose Set Value Now, and for the value, put %N1%.

Then change your rename step to use %T1% instead of %N1% (and lose the plus sign so it reads Scan%T1%.txt)

This should do it for you.

David

edit: you may need to add a delay, or some query where it checks if the scan.txt file has been created. Otherwise, while the experiment is still running, the macro will move on and try to rename a file that isn't there yet.

If I understand your message correctly, you need %N1% to increment by 1 each time you use it. You can do this directly in the Repeat statement itself (you'll see something like "store the counter into a variable"), or by including the statement "Variable Modify Integer %n1%: Increment" within the Repeat loop.