Macro Express Forums

A lot of what I bought MEP for is to copy data from one app to another. I was a superkey user for years back in the dos days, and got pretty comfortable with it, so I'm familiar with the concepts. I'm a new user of MEP, however.

I'm having a problem with MEP when I run a capture. If i have severa apps open, and I trigger the software via shift/control/alt/x, the recording start prompt pops up behind another open app as opposed to the one I'm looking at (and want to function from). That destroys my purpose...as I have to minimize the app I want the macro to work with in order to get to the start macro prompt. So far the only way I've found around this is to make sure I only have the two apps I want to work with open at the time the macro is recorded, and no more. Is there another way?

I can't help you with capture issues as I never use it. One reason is because like you it did odd things but more importantly it recorded a bunch of garbage. That is to say it records everything and most of it is superfluous. One alternative you might try is to do it the way I do and mentally record the steps and manually enter them in the scripting editor. Also like I mentioned before you can take advantage of many powerful commands like the aforementioned window activation, timing controls (Wait for window to appear, wait for mouse cursor to change), and most importantly Window Controls. On several occasions someone has sent me a macro that was hundreds of lines long and I replaced it with a macro that was much quicker and more reliable that only had 8 commands. If you give me a quick example I could demonstrate with a simple macro.

Thanks, Cory. The macro is on the other laptop. I'll get it uploaded to you this weekend sometime. When dumping text from one app to the other, the source app (wordpad) will always be the same...as will the filename. But, the target app (wordperfect..where I want the text to end up) will always have the same app name, but the filename will be different at times. On the other hand,perhaps could keep a template wordperfect file set aside for that purpose so the filenames for both would remain the same. Maybe that would yield a more reliable macro. The confusing thing to me would be how to designate the location and filename of each file in the editor, to ensure that the macro only deals with the files I want it to.

All this is a bit of a learning curve for me, but I think MEP is worth that investment. If I can get things to work reliably, it'll save me a ton of time and work each week.

Thanks, Cory. The macro is on the other laptop. I'll get it uploaded to you this weekend sometime. When dumping text from one app to the other, the source app (wordpad) will always be the same...as will the filename. But, the target app (wordperfect..where I want the text to end up) will always have the same app name, but the filename will be different at times. On the other hand,perhaps could keep a template wordperfect file set aside for that purpose so the filenames for both would remain the same. Maybe that would yield a more reliable macro. The confusing thing to me would be how to designate the location and filename of each file in the editor, to ensure that the macro only deals with the files I want it to.

All this is a bit of a learning curve for me, but I think MEP is worth that investment. If I can get things to work reliably, it'll save me a ton of time and work each week.

What are you trying to do. 90% of the time when client's come to me with an idea how to solve the problem I come up with a much faster and more efficient way. EG is the source file is opening in WordPad then the file format might be RTF and one might be able to directly access the file in MEP as a variable.

As for variable names that's very easy to accommodate. For instance the Windows Activation commands use by default the Partial Match option. But there are many ways to skin a cat. But without knowing what it is you're trying to do I'm not going to waste ammo taking shots in the dark.

BTW I can help you build a solution and teach you how to manage the code yourself. All for hire of course but if you're trying to learn quickly this is often a very fast way to learn and depending on how you value your time much less expensive. I know if I would have met me back in the beginning of all this I could have saved myself hundreds of hours of trial and error with an hour of expert instruction.