Macro Express Forums

Controls Versus Keyboard Shortcuts

Cory

In general is it better to use control clicks instead of keyboard shortcuts?

I find that writing macros is easier with the keyboard shortcuts and don't see the benefit of using control clicks instead but I thought I would ask in case I am missing something.

IMO, I think creating macros using keyboard shortcuts is easier than capturing controls. In our environment, our Imaging/Workflow application has controls that have dynamic characteristics. Marcros with contol related commands for this app are very difficult and time consuming to create. That being said, if I am creating macros for other users in our organization, I prefer to work with controls whenever possible. I think they are usually more reliable.

If it's a macro just for me, then I don't care. I can tinker with it when time permits until I have it working reliably.

So you have observed that controls are more reliable? Or is that just one of those gut feelings?

I have a user on a much slower machine and I get problems there I don't get on mine and I've seen this before. However there's no way to tell if using controls improves it really. I'd rather make life easy for myself but not if it breeds problems. Maybe I'll wait for the next sticky point and try both way and see if either make it better. I just can't understand why it would be better. But then again there must be a reason for their existence.

What kind of imaging stuff do you do?

I work in the IT department for a medical laboratory. We use a product called Optika Acorde for document management and workflow. We image everything from test requisitons and patient results for technical departments, insurance information, Captial Budget requests, PO's and packing slips for Purchasing dept, Resumes and Applications for Human Resources. I could go on for a while even though I would guess that we are only imaging about 25% of our paper.

Right now I'm working on a project with Macro Express and a new kick a$$ HP LasereJet 4345MFP that I ordered for our HR department to replace their aging HP 5si. Now they have one device that prints, scans and faxes. I didn't know it at the time of ordering, but this MFP device can send scanned images directly to network folders. Once I realized this, I began exploring the possibility of using ME and this device to submit scanned documents to workflow.

We have 3 scanning workstations that normally serve this purpose. These workstation/scanner setups are very expensive and in constant demand by our users. Most of the users have to leave their department to use one of these workstations, sign on to the network, start the application and scan their images. They then have to use a different app to view the image and type in index values.

I've got one Macro in production that allows the HR department to scan the resumes and apps at the HP MFP in their office. It sends it to a network folder. They start a playable macro that displays the TIF image using the Kodak Image viewer in Windows 2000 and then prompts them to enter index values. ME then asks if they want to submit the images to Optika. ME creates the text file with the required index values and moves the images to the proper network location for filing. They love it. They no longer have to leave their dept or fight for access to the scanner.

The MFP also has a touch pad that the users can type in the index values right there at the device. This makes it possible for the userto submit documents without the user ever having to log into a computer. It also has OCR capabilities. It's my hope to use ME to pull out index value from the OCR text file for some of our workflow processes.

It has a lot of promise. My boss is really interested because we would be able to deploy additional scanning devices for half the cost of full imaging workstation.

Hi, Cory,

My experience with a variety of macros is that control can be much more precise and generally make macros more reliable. I think it may be because you can choose them more precisely for timing than "Wait for Window", which can sometimes be hard to differentiate from each other?

A while since I changed over, and maybe just re-writing the macro timing did the trick rather than the controls, though!

Now I realise I can use "Wait for Window1" OR "Wait for Window2" etc, I might not need them so much; not sure.

Multiple Choice With Wait For...

You're right about the "intuitive"; it "feels" better to write text to a control than rely on the keys posting to the right spot!

Also, I haven't used it much apart from on trial basis, but theoretically, i quote from elsewheree;

However, you can send text directly to a control that is not focused using the Get Control and TextType commands if you specify in the TextType command to send the keystrokes directly to the control.

This woul avoid requiring focus, and decrease broken macros further?

Best, Randall