Macro Express Forums

Can't Move Files

Cory

When I use ME to move an entire folder over the network it gets to the end and bombs out complaining that it can't find a file. When I look in that folder it has already moved all the files. What am I doing wrong?

<DOFILE:07:YY:\\ip1\ipdata\clients\%T4%\*.*>\\ip1\ipdata\archive\clients\%T4%\>

Also how do i simply move a folder?

I tried copy then del and that works. But you're a genious on the other suggestion! Originally the source was on a different volume but last weekend I swapped some of the drives around and now they are on the same. Rename would be the proper way, it just escaped me! Thanks!

Dang. I thought one could rename a folder if it was on the same volume but it complains that I can not rename the folder if it is on a different folder or disk.

<DOFILE:03:NN:\\ip1\ipdata\clients\%T4%\>\\ip1\ipdata\archive\clients\%T4%\>

I guess it's back to copy and delete. It's no big deal but it just seems kinda stupid to have to do it this way.

Joe,

I tried your suggestion but now have another problem. I have subdirectories and it wouldn't move them unless I checked the recurse option. Then if the recurse option is checked it moves all the files and then complains that it can't move folder X. Folder X is the first folder in the parent folder aplhabetically which in NTFS means it's the last to me acted on. After the error if one opens the source folder you will find it empty, IOW it worked, and folder X was moved! Arggggg.... I don't know if it's a bug in ME or what.

I think move is doing a copy and delete which is silly since we are duplicating the data which takes time. One should just be able to rename the folder but the scripting editor complains that it isn't supported since the destination folder is different. I was told onc as long as it was on the same volume one should be able to rename but it wont let me.

What am I doing wrong here?

Checking the Recursive checkbox is fine. I do it when I want to move contents of sub-folders. I have done this without error when moving within the same partition, different drives on the same workstation, and also across networks.

Is this an active folder? Are others writing to it while you are moving the files?

Try "moving off" of the folder you are wanting to move before moving it. In other words, use the Change Directory/Folder command to log in to a different folder then move it.

As to renaming or copying and deleting: If you are moving folders within the same partition on the same hard drive, then Windows will probably just do some internal renaming. On the other hand, if you are moving folders between partitions, hard drives, or over a network then Windows will do a copy and delete.

The folder is not active. I can manually move or delete the folder with no problem. Prior to the move there is no activity going on in there and the 'current' folder is elsewhere. I think it's a bug. The one thing that could be causing a problem is that the network is slow today so maybe it's atiming issue with ME. I've used this move before and it worked OK but every time I try to do it with one of these client folder it baulks and I find it's empty.

I agree that when you move a folder or file in Windows it just changes the directory listings and doesn't copy/delete as long as it's on the same volume. However I think that ME does the copy/delete thing when you use the move command without respect to whether it's on the same volume or not. I wish it didn't do this but it still works OK. Just seems dumb and it takes extra time.

Thanks for the help.

Dang. I thought one could rename a folder if it was on the same volume but it complains that I can not rename the folder if it is on a different folder or disk.

<DOFILE:03:NN:\\ip1\ipdata\clients\%T4%\>\\ip1\ipdata\archive\clients\%T4%\>

I guess it's back to copy and delete. It's no big deal but it just seems kinda stupid to have to do it this way.

Yeah Randall and i both thougth of this but it doesn't work either. Here's my previous post. maybe I have the syntax wrong or someting, can you get it to work?