Macro Express Forums

Me Macros Not Running On Vmware Server

Reinhard

Hello,

I am running ME 3.5.c on a VMware server under MS Server 2003.

All macros are running well, since i am logged on to the server,

but if i close the screen, the macros are not longer running.

(The program i call is also on the server)

I leave the screen with log out, = time shifted macros would not run.

I leave the screen with X (normaly Programs are running in background) =

time shifted macros would not run.

I minimize the screen from the server, time shifted macros would not run.

I let my workstation open, and also a connect to the Server , =

macros are running perfect.

so .... is there any hint or trick, i can run my macros on a virtual server,

when a screen is not avail ?

Thank you

Reinhard

It is Windows (or Terminal Services) that makes it so the macros do not run. This occurs with Citrix and Windows Terminal Services as well. The only work-around we have found is to leave the session connected. One customer simply set up an old computer and left it connected.

I too have seen the failure of macros in Remote Desktop (AKA Terminal Services) machines. At first I faulted ME but after closer scrutiny, in my case at least, I found that it wasn't ME's fault. In two sepperate cases, both using IE6, I found that the problem was that IE won't do certian things when a TS session is minimized or disconnected. In the latest case the authentication dialog box refuses to open so ME can enter a password. This was a real bind becasue at the time I was using ME to download an entire Yahoo group with nearly 40k messages and I was using as many as 5 machines on different networks to do it before the group shut down.

The workaround I found was to have a normal desktop session and use VNC to connecto to the desktop. It's free, thin and very usefull. You still have to have teh zombie computer like Kevin suggests but at least you can remote to it.

FYI, the current version is 3.5d. If you are having any problems you might consider upgrading.

It is Windows (or Terminal Services) that makes it so the macros do not run. This occurs with Citrix and Windows Terminal Services as well. The only work-around we have found is to leave the session connected. One customer simply set up an old computer and left it connected.

Hello,

Thank you very much for the answers ....

First i think , i have made a mistake in my Macro, and i searched a half day for that failure .....

.. normaly i don't want to work on that way, but i think i set up an old machine, to connect to the server, or i play the macro directly on the old machine.....

Thank you

Reinhard

The workaround I found was to have a normal desktop session and use VNC to connecto to the desktop. It's free, thin and very usefull. You still have to have teh zombie computer like Kevin suggests but at least you can remote to it.

I would suggest using TightVNC - it offers various levels of encryption and it's 100% free - no need to worry about "upgrading" to features you might need - they're included for free.

I currently use this version myself and have found it extremely easy to use/configure.