Macro Express Forums

Redefining Shortkeys On The Fly

['Wondering if PGM Variable Management functions would apply here]

I would like to make simple text shortcuts, like ".cn" to type out a client's name. Whenever I type ".cn", for example, Mx would type out the client name for the case I was on. While I would always type ".cn" to get a client's name, Mx would type different client names depending upon which case I was on.

I can easily have my office database export a CSV or text file containing the relevant data. Presumably it would contain one record (line) and many fields. I see two methods:

A. The values of T1, T2, etc. would be cleared, new values would be loaded from the data file, and Mx would type out the values of those variables when the corresponding shortkey is entered. For example, typing ".cn" might type out the value of variabe T1, ".cr" might type out the value of the variable T2, etc.

B. Mx would use the values in the CSV or text file to write a Mx text file like:

<ITEM NAME>.cn

Cleint's Name

John Smith

<ITEM NAME>.cr

Case reference Number

Smith vs. Jones

but when I went onto the next case, I'd export the data and Mx would use the values in the new CSV or text file to write a Mx text file like this:

<ITEM NAME>.cn

Cleint's Name

Penny Lane

<ITEM NAME>.cr

Case reference Number

Lane vs. Avenue

Two problems:

(A) approach "A" would limit me to 99 variables, and I would like to have about 125;

(B) approach "B" doesn't seem to work. I had thought that importing a new text file would replace the previous definitions of each variable with the new definition, but instead the first definition persists and the subsequent ones are ignored.

Can anyone suggest a better approach?

Thanks,

Jeff

While I haven't understood your requirement completely, I can tell you what the PGM Variable Management functions offer. These allow you to have multiple sets of 99 string variables, not one or more sets of more than 99 variables. Of course, with clever registry manipulation you could have as many variables as you want, e.g.

Read RegValue1 into T1

Use T1

Read regvalue2 into T1

Use new T1

etc.

Not elegant perhaps, but it could be done.