Macro Express Forums

Extremely Fast Access To Websites,

jmazor

{Whoops. I meant to post this in this forum}.

The following gives very fast access from anywhere to websites, programs, files and folders. Maybe it will be of use to others.

Before using the macro, I set up a folder ("c:\!Mnemonics") and I populate it with OneWord Internet Shortcuts to websites and regular Links to programs, folders or files.

First the macro prompts for the keyword, and then sets T1 to equal a full path file name composed of the path to the !Mnemonics folder plus the keyword the user types in. Example: "c:\!Mnemonics\Newsweek".

Then the macro changes the filename into an Internet Shortcut formatted name by appending ".URL" (i.e., "c:\!Mnemonics\Newsweek.URL") and checks to see if such a file exists. If so, it uses the Web Site command to launch IE and navigate to the website. If not......

The macro then appends the ".LNK" extension to create the name of a typical link file (i.e., "c:\!Mnemonics\Newsweek.LNK"). Once again the macro checks to see if such a File Exists in the folder. If so, it uses the Open Folder command to launch the program, open the folder, or open the file (with its associated program).

Finally, if no corresponding Internet Shortcut or Link is found in the !Mnemonics folder, the macro tells the user and opens the !Mnemonics folder so that the user can make his/her own selection.

So far it seems to work just fine for shortcuts to every website, program, folder or file that I have tried it with. What I really like is that its very fast and it uses only the keyboard - no mouse handling required.

Special thanks to Cory and Joe for all the ideas that enabled me to do this.

Thanks,

Jeff Mazor

COMMAND TEXT VIEW

// Set T1 to 'c:\!Mnemonics\Hook', where "Hook" is the word provided by the user

Variable Set String %T1% "C:\!Mnemonics\"

Variable Set String %T2% from Prompt

Variable Modify String: Append %T2% to %T1%

// Set T3 to "c:\!Mnemonics\Hook.URL"

Variable Set String %T3% "%T1%"

Variable Modify String: Append ".URL" to %T3%

If File Exists "%T3%"

Web Site: %T3% [Default Browser]

Macro Stop

Else

// Set T3 to "c:\Mnemonics\Hook.LNK"

Variable Set String %T3% "%T1%"

Variable Modify String: Append ".LNK" to %T3%

If File Exists "%T3%"

Open Folder: %T3%

Macro Stop

End If

End If

Pause: Complex

Open Folder: c:\!Mnemonics\

Macro Stop

DIRECT EDITOR VIEW (I think)

<REM2:Set T1 to 'c:\!Mnemonics\Hook', where "Hook" is the word provided by the user><TVAR2:01:01:C:\!Mnemonics\><TVAR2:02:02:FEnter Mnemonic:TFCenter:Center><TMVAR2:08:01:02:000:000:><REM2:Set T3 to "c:\!Mnemonics\Hook.URL"><TVAR2:03:01:%T1%><TMVAR2:07:03:00:000:000:.URL><IFOTH:01:2:%T3%><HTTP2:1:F:%T3%><MSTOP><ELSE><REM2:Set T3 to "c:\Mnemonics\Hook.LNK"><TVAR2:03:01:%T1%><TMVAR2:07:03:00:000:000:.LNK><IFOTH:01:2:%T3%><MYCOMP:%T3%><MSTOP><ENDIF><ENDIF><PAUSE2:000147,000385Can't find %T2%. Click 'Resume' to see list.T><MYCOMP:c:\!Mnemonics\><MSTOP>