Macro Express Forums

Can MEX Pro set/change a title of an window?

Using AutoIt, it's a piece of cake!

<EXTERNAL SCRIPT Language="AutoIt" Dest="%tOutput%" Script="WinSetTitle(\"AutoIt Help\", \"\", \"My new window\")\r\n" Encoding="0"/>

where:

"AutoIt Help" is the exact title of the window (case sensitive)

"My new window" is the desired new window name

I think most people who look to extend MEPs capabilities use AutoIT with success. A little more technical but a good product. I decided to go for a proper programming language instead but the learning curve is far more steep. Don't get me wrong, I still find MEP useful and I think it has it's place. My analogy would be like a shovel to an excavator. A shovel is a fine tool for digging holes that will serve most homeowners well. Requires little training is cheap and cheerful. Excavators are big, expensive, and require a substantial amount of training. But if you need to excavate a pool it's really what you need. But to extend the analogy you wouldn't want to use the excavator to add sprinklers to your flower bed and even on the pool excavation there will always be a shovel handy. And I think the creators of MEP did an excellent job of giving everyday computer users a simplified way to automate tasks quickly and efficiently.

I think most people who look to extend MEPs capabilities use AutoIT with success......And I think the creators of MEP did an excellent job of giving everyday computer users a simplified way to automate tasks quickly and efficiently.

I agree with these sentiments, though I'd make the point that writing a well-designed macro is much more complex than using a shovel!

Thanks everybody so far. I also do read about autohotkey a lot. Which would you recommend? I´m pretty comfortable with writing all kind of macros with MEX Pro by now but i guess both have a different language compared to MEX so a learning curve is involved in both. I´m also a bit familiar with Basic.

It looks like AutoHotkey ist easier to learn while AutoIT has a broader range of automation functionality. Is that true?

Which would you recommend? Let´s move this to a new topic as it might be of common interest. Hope to CU there! :)

Thank You

Alexandra

I also do read about autohotkey a lot. Which would you recommend?

It looks like AutoHotkey ist easier to learn while AutoIT has a broader range of automation functionality. Is that true?

Autohotkey's syntax is unique and highly non-standard. The 2 languages both spring from the same original source but now diverge widely. If you have some Basic experience, then I believe AutoIt is the better choice. Actually, although there are some keyboard-orientated things you can do in Autohotkey that you cannot easily do in AutoIt, for me AutoIt is overwhelmngly the better choice (and, unlike AutoIt, you cannot interface Autohotkey with MEP). There are also user-developed libraries in AutoIt, further extending its functionality (for example, there is a comprehensive library for Internet Explorer which allows you do do anything you want in IE).

Alexis; For better or worse I tried AHK first. I keep promising myself I'll invest similar effort in AuotoIt! to make a fair comparison. AHK has a good forum and excellent documentation, including many sample scripts.

Paul: Can you amplify on what you meant about integration with MEP please? At present I merely launch some of my AHK scripts from macros.

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Paul: Can you amplify on what you meant about integration with MEP please? At present I merely launch some of my AHK scripts from macros.

Macro Control / External Script

Language: AutoIt

Save console output to: %tOutput%

In AutoIt, use consolewrite(variable) to return values to %tOutput%.

Pass parameters to AutoIt using values in MEP's Script Language Parameters box, and read them in AutoIt with:

$cmdline[0] = number of parameters passed

$cmdline[1] = first parameter

$cmdline[1] = second parameter, etc.

Thus $cmdline[$cmdline[0]] is one way to get the last parameter.

That for me is integration.