Macro Express Forums

AutoIt vs. AutoHotkey

I´m looking for a tool complementing MEX Pro. AutoIt was recommended but i also did read a lot about

AutoHotkey. Which would you recommend? I´m pretty comfortable with writing all kind of macros with MEX Pro by now but i guess both have a different language compared to MEX so a learning curve is involved in both. I´m also a bit familiar with Basic.

It looks like AutoHotkey ist easier to learn while AutoIT has a broader range of automation functionality. Is that true?

Which would you recommend?

Thank You

Alexandra

You mentioned in your other thread that you are familiar with Basic. If that's the case you might look into Visual Basic.net. Visual Studio Express is free and a very powerful OOP. also the same central language can be used for VB script and other such things to extend MEPs capabilities. That is what I opted to do and I've been very happy with it. Also there's a huge Online Support Community in plenty of examples for learning.

I´m looking for a tool complementing MEX Pro. AutoIt was recommended but i also did read a lot about

AutoHotkey. Which would you recommend? I´m pretty comfortable with writing all kind of macros with MEX Pro by now but i guess both have a different language compared to MEX so a learning curve is involved in both. I´m also a bit familiar with Basic.

It looks like AutoHotkey ist easier to learn while AutoIT has a broader range of automation functionality. Is that true?

Which would you recommend?

Thank You

Alexandra

Autohotkey's syntax is unique and highly non-standard. The 2 languages both spring from the same original source but now diverge widely. If you have some Basic experience, then I believe AutoIt is the better choice. Actually, although there are some keyboard-orientated things you can do in Autohotkey that you cannot easily do in AutoIt, for me AutoIt is overwhelmngly the better choice (and, unlike AutoIt, you cannot

interface Autohotkey with MEP). There are also user-developed libraries in AutoIt, further extending its functionality (for example, there is a

comprehensive library for Internet Explorer which allows you do do anything you want in IE).

Thank you Paul. Interfacing with MEP is important for me. I do want to call AutoIt Scripts from MEP and start MEP Macros from AutoIt.

Did i understand you right that this is possible?

AutoIt integrates very well with MEP as an external script you can invoke from, and return results to, MEP. Starting MEP scripts from AutoIt is exactly the same as starting MEP scripts from any other language. There are 2 ways to do this:

- run or call MeProc.exe with the /A parameter

- see the section Windows API calls under Macro Activation in Help