Macro Express Forums

Logging

I've created a Macro and it is activated using a scheduled event. I need it to run twice a day so I made a 2nd Macro (again using scheduled event) to run the 1st.

When I look ate the log files I see

* The 1st Macro runs at it's scheduled time.

* The 2nd Macro runs at it's scheduled time.

Why dosen't the 1st Macro record anything in it's log about being run the 2nd time?

Confirmed. Please report this to ISS as a bug.

I was thinking this might only log activation events but I included a debugging message in mine and that wasn't added to the file either. But ir works fine if I run it directly.

If Macro "A" calls Macro "B", the "Last Run Time" for "A" displays in the Macro Explorer, but the run time for "B" is not updated.

For example, I have three macros nicknamed "Address," "Phone Number" and "Branch Office." All three run a macro nicknamed "Landmark on Page." Even though the called macro is activated dozens a time a day, the Last Run Time shows as "Never."

When one macro calls another, should the run time of the called macro be updated to record the fact that it was activated? I never thought of this as a bug, but maybe it is. What do others think?

If Macro "A" calls Macro "B", the "Last Run Time" for "A" displays in the Macro Explorer, but the run time for "B" is not updated.

For example, I have three macros nicknamed "Address," "Phone Number" and "Branch Office." All three run a macro nicknamed "Landmark on Page." Even though the called macro is activated dozens a time a day, the Last Run Time shows as "Never."

When one macro calls another, should the run time of the called macro be updated to record the fact that it was activated? I never thought of this as a bug, but maybe it is. What do others think?

My personal, not very strong, feeling is that if macro X is called by another macro, then macro X's last run time does not need to be updated. Macro Explorer is an interactive environment, and therefore its last run time column should be reserved for the last tme the macro was run interactively.

I was hoping to encourage the discoverer to write up the bug report but... Anyway I entered the bug report just now.

The problem here isn't the 'last run time' displayed in explorer rather a complete dysfunction of the error logging facility when the macro is run from another. Start and stop times, debug messages, and error messages are not being logged and that is a bug.

I was hoping to encourage the discoverer to write up the bug report but... Anyway I entered the bug report just now.

The problem here isn't the 'last run time' displayed in explorer rather a complete dysfunction of the error logging facility when the macro is run from another. Start and stop times, debug messages, and error messages are not being logged and that is a bug.

Agreed.

Logging is enabled on a per macro basis regardless of whether the macro is activated directly or via a Macro Run command. To enable logging for Macro B edit it to either enable logging from the Miscellaneous tab or add a Log Messages command at the top of the macro. By default, log information for macro B is stored in a separate file from macro A.

This is by design, not a bug. You can decide which macros to log and which ones not to log.

Now we see the problem. The log file is being created but it isn't being displayed under the Logging tab of Macro Properties.

You can get the log information by looking at the log file directly.

1. Go to Options, Preferences, File System.

2. Highlight the 'Default error log directory' and paste it into Windows Explorer.

All log files will be listed. You should see Macro B's log file in there.

Note that the start and stop time for a called macro is not included in the log. but errors are logged and, when Log all Commands is selected, all macro commands are logged.

So, the problem can be stated this way: The log information is not displayed under the Log tab when a macro has been run via a Macro Run command.

We will look into it. This issue has been assigned the tracking number [iSS11664].

WOW. I didn't think this would be so big.

Anyway. To state the problem again. I have two macros, both have logging turned on. Macro A runs at 5:00 PM and Macro B runs at 9:00 PM. Below are the logs

02/24/2013 05:00 PM: Macro Started (Macro A)
02/24/2013 05:00 PM: Macro Completed (Macro A)

02/24/2013 09:00 PM: Macro Started (Macro B )
02/24/2013 09:00 PM: Line 1: Macro Run
02/24/2013 09:00 PM: Macro Completed (Macro B )

Why doesn’t Macro A record it has been run at 9:00 PM. You can see in Macro B's log, it run Macro A

Please read my post. We all agree this is a bug. Also read what Kevin had to say. If you open the log file directly instead of looking gin the log tab in Explorer you will see it is being logged there. So said differently logging is working, the bug is in displaying it in the Macro's property form.