Macro Express Forums

Message Box in MEP

Hi,

I couldn't find any option in MEP just like we have it in VBA in form of Msgbox. I want the macro to do a certain task if Button 1 is pressed and do something else if Button 2 is selected.It is pretty much similar Msgbox option in VBA.

The only option which comes to my mind is to use Multiple Choice Menu.

Any Suggestions ?

Thanks in advance,

Gagan

Look at If Message in the logic group. Annoyingly it's in the logic section.

I've always supported the idea that some of these commands need to appear in multiple categories but I think ISS wants to have each command only appear once.

And this is something make good use of. But users not familiar with all the commands will look to the list of all commands and often will not be able to find something because of it's organization. EG Gagan was looking for a dialog box in the section with dialog boxes and didn't find it because it's under logic. Hence this is a perfect example of how I think this is a mistake on the part of ISS not to list it under 2 categories.

The problem of illogically grouped commands seems to be endemic these days. Macro Express is a relatively small program, so it's not too difficult to find what one needs, given trial and error experimentation. The commands may not be organized the way that I would have done it, but it's not a deal breaker for me. For the most part, commands are where I would expect them to be.

The problem of zeroing in on commands is more pronounced in complex applications. For me, the logic underlying the organization of the ribbons in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc. is unfathomable. After many years of using Office 2007 and 2010, I still cannot remember or find the commands I occasionally need.

I use Macro Express hotkey macros every day to save myself the trouble of hunting for commands, or performing common tasks, in Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook. I estimate these macros save me 20 or 30 minutes per day.

The problem of zeroing in on commands is more pronounced in complex applications. For me, the logic underlying the organization of the ribbons in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, etc. is unfathomable. After many years of using Office 2007 and 2010, I still cannot remember or find the commands I occasionally need.

I use a free program to insert a new top-level option called Menu. If I then select Menu, the ribbon disappears and the display reverts to your and my preferred look. If you want more details, please let me know.

• 2 weeks later...

Alan I agree with the organization of the ribbons being not right for anyone. It was their best guess. But to be fair MS intended all users to create their own custom ribbon for all the things they found useful. What come stock is just an attempt to showcase what you can do with your own ribbon. And they'er super easy to make or customize.

That's odd. I haven't used Office 2010, but below comes straight from Excel 2007 help pages.

Can I customize the Ribbon?

The Ribbon, which is part of the Microsoft Office Fluent user interface, is designed to help you quickly find the commands that you need to complete a task. Commands are organized in logical groups that are collected together under tabs. Because each tab relates to a type of activity, such as writing or laying out a page, it is not possible to customize the Ribbon without using XML and programming code.

Things you can't do

Add to or rearrange the commands on the Ribbon

Change or remove a command or group on the Ribbon

Add tabs to the Ribbon, unless you use XML and programming code

Switch to the toolbars and menus from earlier versions of Microsoft Office

Things you can do

Minimize the Ribbon to make more space available on your screen

Move the Quick Access Toolbar to position it below or above the Ribbon

Customize the Quick Access Toolbar to add buttons that represent the commands that you frequently use

Use XML and programming code to extend the Fluent user interface by adding custom tabs, buttons, check boxes, or Dialog Box Launchers. For more information, go to the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN).

I know people don't like to believe me. I guess I just rub people the wrong way. But I'm updating a client task in Outlook right now with my custom "Main" tab active with all the commands I frequently use. IE items from several different tabs and even a few that are not on any existing tab. Also one for a VBA macro.