Macro Express Forums

How can active a playable macro ( .mxe) with a hotkey???

Hi

I want create macros in my PC and mail it to another and he/she just see if this macro can run properly with a hot key (not with double-click )or not?

I don’t want he/she see editor and script at all…

In other word, how I can just install Macro Express player (does not install the Macro Express Editor) and import a .mex file?!?

thanks

saleh safarian

Yes, you can install just the Macro Express Pro Player so others can run macros you create but not edit or create macros but they need a licensed copy of Macro Express Pro.

You cannot assign an activation to a playable macro (they are meant to be double-clicked). I think you can have them save the .mex file to their desktop and double-click it to run it. But, since they would have a licensed copy of Macro Express Pro anyway, you could just send them a macro file and have them replace the default macex.mex.

Samrae is correct but to be clear the MEP 'player' is part and parcel with the proper licensed installation. IE there is no free 'player' like some apps have, EG Acrobat Reader.

You can however 'lock down' a full installation to prevent users from seeing the Macro Explorer or editing macros. A tech savvy user can work around some of these measures but password protection of the macro itself I think is pretty safe.

Yes, you can install just the Macro Express Pro Player so others can run macros you create but not edit or create macros but they need a licensed copy of Macro Express Pro.

You cannot assign an activation to a playable macro (they are meant to be double-clicked). I think you can have them save the .mex file to their desktop and double-click it to run it. But, since they would have a licensed copy of Macro Express Pro anyway, you could just send them a macro file and have them replace the default macex.mex.

Thanks Samrae

1- But I just want to run a macro with a hotkey (not double-click)…

2- How I can create and replace the default macex.mex?

Samrae is correct but to be clear the MEP 'player' is part and parcel with the proper licensed installation. IE there is no free 'player' like some apps have, EG Acrobat Reader.

You can however 'lock down' a full installation to prevent users from seeing the Macro Explorer or editing macros. A tech savvy user can work around some of these measures but password protection of the macro itself I think is pretty safe.

Thanks Cory

Can explain and clear this section of your answer?

“You can however 'lock down' a full installation to prevent users from seeing the Macro Explorer or editing macros.”

If you install Macro Express without the Editor the only way "a tech savvy user can work around" it would be to reinstall Macro Express with the Editor.

To "lock down a full installation" you would assign a password to a macro file that prevents a user editing any of the macros in that macro file. (Look in the help and search for 'password' for more information.)

How I can create and replace the default macex.mex?

All the macros are stored in a file. The default macro file is saved in the user's My Documents folder. To replace this file simply copy your version of macex.mex over the existing macex.mex. (Macro files can have any name and be stored in any location.)

• Like 1

For the rest of this conversation let's assume you have the full version of MEP installed on the destination machine. There is no other way. If you have any more questions you can respond by number in my list below.

1. To load a macro file (MEX) simply double click on it. MEX are like Word documents or any other kind of data file. Once installed an association is made to the MEX and MXE extensions. To be clear the user need not have Macro Explorer installed. I envision you email the user the macro, have them save it to their desktop, and double click it. Nothing will appear to happen but it will be loaded. Also understand MEP can have multiple MEX files open at one time.
  2. Once loaded any activation you have for your trial macro will be active. IE the hotkey you assigned will now function.
  3. There are a series of thing you can do to lock down a user installation of MEP. First you can password protect a macro itself for execution. Second you can password protect the macro file for editing. Third you can use the /B command line switch for "Browse Mode" (that term never made sense to me) at start up which will prevent the user from launching the Macro Explorer from the tray icon. See help section "Command Line Parameters" Just remember to also set this parameter to the normal Start Menu shortcut as well. I think that's the standard lot. I'm sure I've forgotten some part as this is just off the top of my head. I take some extra measures myself where I do not use the Start up Group shortcut but rather launch it from the Run section of the registry at start up. I also have a start up macro that ensures no other MEX files are loaded besides the proper corporate MEX file. It also set's up the environment and does a few tests and reports to the admin if anything is awry.
  4. You can run a macro from a command prompt. See help file section "Command Line Parameters". Even from another file that isn't even open. I don't know if that would help in any way.
  5. Consider using the Portable Version. See help section by same name. You would need to give her a thumb drive but it would allow you to have her test without having to install the program, load MEX files, or need of a license.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For the rest of this conversation let's assume you have the full version of MEP installed on the destination machine. There is no other way. If you have any more questions you can respond by number in my list below.

1. To load a macro file (MEX) simply double click on it. MEX are like Word documents or any other kind of data file. Once installed an association is made to the MEX and MXE extensions. To be clear the user need not have Macro Explorer installed. I envision you email the user the macro, have them save it to their desktop, and double click it. Nothing will appear to happen but it will be loaded. Also understand MEP can have multiple MEX files open at one time.
  2. Once loaded any activation you have for your trial macro will be active. IE the hotkey you assigned will now function.
  3. There are a series of thing you can do to lock down a user installation of MEP. First you can password protect a macro itself for execution. Second you can password protect the macro file for editing. Third you can use the /B command line switch for "Browse Mode" (that term never made sense to me) at start up which will prevent the user from launching the Macro Explorer from the tray icon. See help section "Command Line Parameters" Just remember to also set this parameter to the normal Start Menu shortcut as well. I think that's the standard lot. I'm sure I've forgotten some part as this is just off the top of my head. I take some extra measures myself where I do not use the Start up Group shortcut but rather launch it from the Run section of the registry at start up. I also have a start up macro that ensures no other MEX files are loaded besides the proper corporate MEX file. It also set's up the environment and does a few tests and reports to the admin if anything is awry.
  4. You can run a macro from a command prompt. See help file section "Command Line Parameters". Even from another file that isn't even open. I don't know if that would help in any way.
  5. Consider using the Portable Version. See help section by same name. You would need to give her a thumb drive but it would allow you to have her test without having to install the program, load MEX files, or need of a license.

Thanks very much :)

About case5 please help me. Where i can find the Portable Version that don't need license??!

In this address we have to buy it…:

http://www.macros.com/featuresportable.htm :(

Regarding item 5 I didn't mean to imply you don't need a license because you do. I mean you don't need to have a license installed on the machines you use it on. And I was unaware that the portable version had a separate license. But once you have this you can use that single license on a thumb drive and run macros on multiple machines.

Don't forget if you only want to test something on this person's machine you could always install it under the evaluation license for a short time.