Macro Express Forums

Changing the Name of a window

st762

I am trying to find a way to open several instances of the same program and change the name of the program for identification. As it is they all open with the same exact name and I would like to name them 1 through 10 as they open.

• 1 month later...

I don't think you can do this in ME3. The "handle" feature in Macro Express Pro *might* make it possible to identify windows that have the same title, but I have had minimal success making it work.

It may be possible to rename windows with AutoHotkey and AutoIt, but these programs are not as easy to learn and use as ME and ME Pro.

• 2 months later...

It depends on the program. If for instance it was a notepad file or something, you could save a temp copy of the file with 1.txt as it's filename through the rest. Then you would activate 1.txt - Notepad in ME and do the same for the others. I have found that many programs have the filename as part of the window title these days. You could save the temp file and if it is supposed to be a certain file that already exists somewhere, use a variable to save it's location and filename and use a save as command when done with it to save it back where it's supposed to be.

I guess at this point it would be program dependent. Photoshop and chrome has multiple windows, but ME will only see the name of the last active one. Notepad will open a whole new process each time. I guess the stipulation would be if you can alt + tab to it then it should work.