Macro Express Forums

Pop up menus

Just started using ME Pro and would appreciate some valuable help!

I have created a pop-up menu that triggers other macros. At the bottom of the menu it says that I can 'double click or press a number or letter'.

I want to be able to just press the corresonponding key to the macro I want and it will trigger.

However, the window doesn't seem to be itself active, and only once I click somewhere in the window will it then allow me to press a key to trigger what I need. One of the purposes behind the macro is not to have to use the mouse so having to add in that extra click is really annoying!

I can't see any option to bring the window automatically to the front. I have made it appear at a particular place rather than under the mouse, but neither seem to work.

Any wisdom from anyone?

Thanks in advance!

Tim (A doctor trying to make IT help us to help others)

That is not normal behavior. Normally the popup menu will have focus on launch. I suspect you have another application active which is set to be always on top or is somehow stealing focus. I recommend you close applications one at a time and test until the offending app is discovered. If that doesn't work a fresh reboot in Safe Mode so that no other applications launch and try there. Then bring back applications one at a time until discovered.

I assume you're not in a virtual machine, remote session, or using some kind of thin client. If this is the case then let us know as this has a whole host of issues you need to be aware of.

Hi Tim,

As Cory says, that's definitely abnormal. I use about 30 Pop-Up menus and they have always been immediately accessible. How are you activating the Pop-Up macro? I'm wondering if the activation is duplicated elsewhere and whether that might somehow remove focus from the launched menu?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Thanks both of you for your wisdom. I closed everything but EMIS WEB (the clinical system that I am manipulating) and ME Pro itself. It still only works intermittently.

I'm activating the pop-up macro from another parent macro. The pop-up contains the names of all my colleagues and then jumps off to macros which send messages to these people.

The strange thing is that the pop-up window always looks the same, but sometimes has the focus and sometimes it doesn't. Perhaps the answer is to use a multiple choice menu inside a macro rather than a pop-up window that loads other macros? Thanks for your thoughts!

Tim

I'm activating the pop-up macro from another parent macro. The pop-up contains the names of all my colleagues and then jumps off to macros which send messages to these people.

Still a bit light on detail! Is that 'parent macro' another menu macro? Like this?

MEPro-TopMenu.jpg

If so, is 'the pop-up macro' one of many on that main menu, like say 'Textpad MENU' in my list?

How (exactly) do you activate the parent macro? And how then are you attempting to activate the troublesome pop-up menu macro? By hotkey or double-clicking the menu item?

Did you search carefully for conflicting activations (inside and outside ME Pro)?

How are the individual pop-up menu macros scoped? Note the right hand column on my menu indicates whether that macro is Global or Window/Program-specific.

--

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

the 'parent' macro is a standard macro rather than a pop-up one. it just calls the pop-up macro through a run command. I closed everything but ME and the clinical system and it still was buggy (sometimes working sometimes not). I couldn't find any other macros running at the same time that would steal the focus. Sadly being a doctor rather than an IT guru like yourselves, I have no idea what a safe mode boot or MSConfig is. I'm better at people than machines!

Anyway, I then adoped a work round as below - moving the mouse to where the pop-up appears and clicking on it before moving back. This hasn't solved the underlying problem but it now works everytime:

<MACRO RUN Use_ID="FALSE" Name="who to send to" ID="-1" Wait="FALSE"/>

<GET MOUSE POSITION Option="\x00" X="%x%" Y="%y%"/>

<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x01" X="668" Y="210" _PROMPT="0x000A"/>

<DELAY Flags="\x02" Time="100"/>

<MOUSE LEFT DOUBLE CLICK/>

<MOUSE MOVE Option="\x01" X="%x%" Y="%y%" _PROMPT="0x000A" _ENABLED="FALSE"/>

I didn't say there was another macro running but rather a background process. Every program on your machine is a process and most of them are invisible in that they don't have an apparent window. And some are even invisible windows. Use CTRL+ALT+DEL and choose Task Manager. Go to the processes tab and select to show processes from all users. That's all the things that are running and things in there can cause what's happening to you. Especially if they have any employee monitoring software.

MSConfig is a utility you can use to control what runs at startup amongst other things.

Safe Mode is an optional way to start up Windows so it doesn't launch all the startup programs.