Macro Express Forums

PaintShop Pro image windows

Anyone else use PaintShop Pro please? Mine is an old version, PSP 8, but this issue probably applies to more recent ones.

ME Pro seems unable to access its image windows. They don't appear in the list of windows when using Specify a window. (Including Hidden windows, at least not under the name shown in their title bar.) So I cannot work with them or extract information (position, width, etc) in the familiar way.

PSP8-AccessingImageWindows.jpg

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK

I don't use PSP but I do know that MDI (Multi Document Interface) windows will not be apparent to MEP the same as all apps. Only the parent window will be. And sometimes this is confusing because the child windows can sometimes venture out of the main window.

As an aside it sounds like you're a photog and are using MEP to automate post-processing. If that's the case I recommend Adobe Lightroom. I've been learning it now for a few months and it's workflow is amazing. All the things one wants to automate with an editing app like PSP or Photoshop are all done for you. And managing the library is really amazing. Import is awesome too as you can define custom processing steps and they execute automatically on import. For instance I always want to compensate for lens spherical and chromatic aberration and it does it on import. Also it knows what the correction values are based on my camera, lens and even the focal length specified in the photos metadata. Amazingly powerful. Just about everything one wants to do in post. It's not PS so you can't do something like put your bosses head on a donkey but it does have touchup tools to remove facial blemishes and such. Basically all the things you really need for photography.

Thanks Cory. I fear you're right. But one possible line of attack came from the AutoHotkey forum this morning. It was suggested that I try the Window Spy tool. For example, it looks like this with the mouse cursor over an image window:

WindowSpy-1.jpg

The red lines I've added show data that's apparently unique to that child window.

But, leaving aside the minor snag that this requires me to first move the mouse over the target window, I'm not yet sure how to get that data onto the clipboard for further testing. I looked for someway to 'freeze' Window Spy but so far in vain, and the tool has no Hep button. (Oddly too, it seems to be an AutoIt! accessory, not AHK's.)

My son is a great fan of Lightroom and from your description I can see why. But he spends thousands on cameras and lenses (and telescopes and their accessories). Those days are behind me! I'm a point-and-click guy and love the easiness of that. And for now at least my Ixus 220 HS gives me enough HD quality JPGs and MOVs for all my DVD making.

--

I cant be more help without the app and some time to play with it but I was thinking maybe there's a way you could open a second PSP instance and have it full screen. Or some trickery like that. Maybe even use a VM as a slave. I see online that PSP supports scripts. Is this not an automation tool you can use?

Yes indeed, I've been working on several scripts all day. But Python, with its rigid syntax rules, is a closed book to me, so I'm limited to what I can record. And unfortunately some surprisingly basic operations are not recordable, but only possible by direct coding.

However, the macro I finished a couple of hours ago incorporates several PSP8 scripts. I ran it successfully on about 20 images just now. Here's the result for that example I showed in my post. Mind you, it took me longer to write than I'd have taken to prepare all of them manually - but I learned some stuff in the process!

Day02-Elev.jpg

--